Sign of abortion?

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
Found this on one of my cows this afternoon while feeding. She's a second calver that was AI'd May 1st and was AI bred on her first calf. Is there anything that would cause this besides a miscarriage?

SUB,Was she confirmed bred? If not, are her flanks/tailhead marked up with dirt,mud,manure at all? I've seen younger females look kinda like that as they are going out of heat. B&G

Black and Good":xj372was said:
SUB,Was she confirmed bred? If not, are her flanks/tailhead marked up with dirt,mud,manure at all? I've seen younger females look kinda like that as they are going out of heat. B&G

That doesn't look like manure going up to her hips on each side. Way too much discharge for it to be a heat IMO.

greatgerts":6xykb2ex said:
Black and Good":6xykb2ex said:

That doesn't look like manure going up to her hips on each side. Way too much discharge for it to be a heat IMO.

I was referring to marks along her side from being rode. B&G

Black and Good":2pgqfycv said:
greatgerts":2pgqfycv said:
Black and Good":2pgqfycv said:

I was referring to marks along her side from being rode. I do agree it's a lot of discharge. But, I have seen close to that much from young heifers that have been in heat and maybe just bred. B&G

Well, I'm pretty good at heat detection, and with this one picture, I cannot see any "marks along her sides" - we cannot see her sides. The picture is a perfect example of a cow that just calved. IMHO

I'd venture to say that it was still happening(aborting) at time of pic purely by looking at udder and also seeing no signs of afterbirth...

Black and Good":1ci6kc0x said:
Thanks for the replies!
B&G, she was not confirmed bred but was AI'd and then covered by the cleanup bull and I've not seen any signs of heat from her that I'm aware of.

Latest posts