What causes this?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Calf acts normal, kinda looks like a rash. Around both eyes, nose and under its chin.

Idk. Had one looked the same way. Perfectly healthy in appearance other than that, and came home and found him dead the other day. The two things may be unrelated, and probably are.

Bigfoot":wwvmu455 said:
Idk. Had one looked the same way. Perfectly healthy in appearance other than that, and came home and found him dead the other day. The two things may be unrelated, and probably are.

How long after you noticed it did you find it dead?

Did you have it examined?

tom4018":l2i9roli said:
Bigfoot":l2i9roli said:

How long after you noticed it did you find it dead?

Did you have it examined?

3 weeks maybe. Not over a month.

It looks like more than lice, without knowing it almost looks like an allergy, food? Plant? Is it just on the head or other places on the calves body?

mrvictordomino":3pdo9pg5 said:
Fever? Have seen sick calves lose hair like that if they ran a fever.

That is my guess as well. Worse I ever saw it was many years ago, calf lost about 1/2 of all it's hair. It was knocking on death's door.

I've seen crypto cause it in bottle calves.....watch for scours and get electrolites in asap if he/she starts scouring
but hair loss from cripto usually happened after they started scouring not before

I had the same thought, Ken, but forgot to ask.
Looks like a photosensitization deal to me.

Linked article below describes an 'outbreak' of PS in MO calves... no definitive ID of causative agent or source, but fescue and red clover in pasture were common.
http://vdi.sagepub.com/content/3/2/180.full.pdf

I have seen photosensitization in horses consuming red & white clover infected with Rhizoctonia leaf spot fungus. Non-pigmented skin 'sunburned' and peeled off.

He mentioned they've been getting a bunch of rain. I've seen it before where the wetness, mixed with an aggressive mother licking it takes it off. Though this is quite a bit of hair in this case.

As for a fever, the hair loss comes after it would have been nearly dead. If he didn't notice it sick, I'd rule out after affects of fever.

Some poisonous plants cause photosensitivity, if the poison didn't kill them they usually recover OK

Latest posts