Aborting or early calving?

Help Support CattleToday:

Herford×Angus

Reaction score
I found a cow about a mile away from the rest of the heard, that where eating the hay I gave them a couple of hours earlier. Was in the middle of a field with nothing but snow. When I got close I saw some mucus with some blood in it on her. My cows should start calving march 21st so it would be at least 2 weeks early! Her udder didn't look very full but she seems restless. Looks similar to the rotten one I pulled last year :(

Well she had twins!! I was up till 2:30 am had to bring them inside had a windchill of -35 but looks like they are both gonna survive!

wbvs58 said:
Might be worth checking her out. 2 wks early is well within tolerances. May be having trouble. Twins??????

Ken

impressive call....Can you tell me if I got all of my cattle bred this year?? Might save on blood tests. :clap:

I had a heifer abort twins a couple months early.. And then I had a cow who was walking weird for months have twins. We brought her to the house so she could use a trough instead of getting stuck in a pond. SHe waddled around all fall. She would swing one back leg out all stiff. We assumed she was going to have either something big or twins. And it was twins...

I got lucky saw her walking over a hill in the distance 30 seconds later she was out of sight. If I hadn't spotted her I'm sure I would have lost both calves.
s6ucjk.jpg

Had them sleeping inside my house, first time for everything :lol2:!

Bcompton53 said:
wbvs58 said:
Might be worth checking her out. 2 wks early is well within tolerances. May be having trouble. Twins??????

Ken

impressive call....Can you tell me if I got all of my cattle bred this year?? Might save on blood tests. :clap:

I think I'll quit while I'm ahead.

Great result, very good save.

Ken

Turns out one of them had a sex change :shock:! I double checked and it's a bull and a heifer

I would have preferred 2 heifers since I like the cow but I'll take a spare calf any day. When I pull a calf I have a bucket close by and collect the amniotic fluid in case I pull a dead one. Just pour it on a different calf. It's funny to watch a cow chasing a 2 week old calf thinking it's her newborn trying to clean it

We had a heifer in labor last night and was chasing around someone elses calf thinking, you're mine. Ugh, I hate when that happens. Had to get all the heifers up and pull her out. But, that gets that one problem behind us. Always have one of those. Havent had the pooper yet, or the 'what is that thing, get it away from me' heifer....
Bummer its a bull/heifer. We had a set of twins a few weeks ago that was also b/h... Big cow, so I left both on her. If its a heifer, I pull one off and save it for a graft calf.

I always take one off after a couple of weeks or when I need a graft. I used to leave both on the cow but it seemed like then the cow would breed back late or be open. Not sure why though.