Aborting and stress

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
Had a cow abort this morning 7 weeks early. Ran into the vet andhe said that in the past week around here there have been a good number of herds with the same problem. He feels that since it's so wide spread that it may be stress related from the ice storm, limbs and trees falling, cows slipping and falling on the ice, etc.
Makes as much sense to me as anything.

dun

Hey dun,

Sorry about the loss. We sure can forget how quickly things can go wrong. Hope the cow is o.k. and I can't wait for warmer weather.
Donna

D OSBURN":z6s6yr7k said:
Hey dun,

Sorry about the loss. We sure can forget how quickly things can go wrong. Hope the cow is o.k. and I can't wait for warmer weather.
Donna

Cows ok, cleaned a couple of hours ago. Finally wandering off to eat from where she last saw her calf.

dun

I am really sorry to hear that, dun. What a mess that storm created, and you're still feeling the effects there, a real shame.

Sorry to hear of your loss...our weather has been warm (high 20s) then near zero but haven't had any cow problems. Have all the pines trimmed up high and get right on them when the ice brings some down.
DMc

I'm sorry to hear that dun. I hope the rest of cows go full term.

The theory of the ice storm is interesting, I wouldn't have thought of that.

Learn something new every day.

Katherine

I posted this for information purposes and thought it might be of interest. There really isn;t much that can be done after the fact to prevent it but at least it may provide a reasonable explanation if others have the same problem.

dun

Stress is a factor in just about everything. I can fully understand how the storm can affect the cattle. Drastic temperature changes, let alone the issue of them falling - probably several times. Good luck with the rest.

I think that wet, windy 30 degree weather is far worse on cattle than dry calm -30. It was -35 this morning when I checked the cattle, all were standing around chewing cuds, like ho-hum.

You are right. Cold doesn't seem to bother them - but WIND - wicked hard on them.
But, when everything has an inch of ice on it, that is also stressful. Their hay is covered, their hair & the ground they are trying to walk on. That's gotta be tough!
We are at 0 with the wind howling. Cattle are bundled up trying to get behind one another. Wicked nasty out. I'm hybernating!

Latest posts