Aborted fetus

Help Support CattleToday:

mhill

Reaction score
I am looking for possible reasons for an aborted fetus. I had a cow that dumped a probably six month fetus this morning and am completely astonished as to why. Nothing changed in the herds diet. I know things like this happen but it still bothers me.

Take the fetus to your vet and have some blood work done on your cow. Only with some tests you might find the answer but not always.

About the right stage for Lepto. We had a fetus about that stage tested once. Only way to possibly find out is do tests.

tom4018":3dtmije8 said:
About the right stage for Lepto. We had a fetus about that stage tested once. Only way to possibly find out is do tests.
Sounds like Lepto. I vaccinate every six months here with the high deer population. Once before breeding and
again after weaning.

Could be nothing more than the fact that abortions happen. OR it could be some sort of a disease. Only way you have a chance of finding out is to get the fetus to the vet and have it checked out.

mrvictordomino":2tbld2ti said:
tom4018":2tbld2ti said:
Sounds like Lepto. I vaccinate every six months here with the high deer population. Once before breeding and
again after weaning.
We do too and use a vaccine with the hb strain in it.

I had a cow abort about the same time as yours, mine had twins one was probably 6-7 months the other was about half the size. I didn't have fetus or cow tested hoping it was a freak of nature. Have not know to have a cow abort in 35 years

Hope and pray just a coincidence, but check for lepto. It sounds like it could be. Probably better start a vaccination program for it either way.

mhill":239aq5yy said:
I am looking for possible reasons for an aborted fetus. I had a cow that dumped a probably six month fetus this morning and am completely astonished as to why. Nothing changed in the herds diet. I know things like this happen but it still bothers me.

Neospora.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index ... d=neospora

We can all guess - Lepto, Neospora, moldy hay, twins and you only found one, cow bred early after parturition with a lo-grade uterine infection, possibly something wrong with the fetus, E.G. AM,NH, some other genetic thing.
Hope you don't get more, take the next one in to the vet for sure, take the placenta too, draw a blood sample from the one that aborted now and again in 2 wks and see what changed, a good way to test for diseases that cause abortion. Most times it's hard to find the cause. Asking your vet what is common in your neck of the woods is a great start.

Latest posts