Aaron' Take

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Spoke with him last night. They have/had a 50 year drought like us this spring and summer, but a lot of fall rain. He is the only one expanding in that district - - buying hay from eastern Ontario and some additional local heifer calves. I hope they are the right color...

We agree that there has been a big reduction in beef cows, perhaps 30%, in the west and in the northern plains. There will be some additional winter dispersials once local hay runs out. Just hard to know what the packers will decide to pay in 2022-2023. Optimists are looking for 2014 prices... Pessimists think they will just burn down some more rain forest and pay off the meat inspectors.

Locally, I do not see any pastures that will be available next spring. I think most folks here were overstocked going into the drought.

Last edited:
How is Canada's most eligible bachelor otherwise? Wondered what he has been up to.

Herd sizes go down, herd size on the increase, cheap feed, expensive feed, futures based or cash based only thing that seems to be steady is a narrow margin for the breeding base in the industry. 2014 prices would be good but would rather just have a good reasonable increase that sticks around and makes it truly worth doing.

Aaron is still pumped about his RED Simi x Herford calves. He has also gone to 30 day (spring and fall) breeding seasons. It will be interesting to see how the F1s breed back. Hard to beat a Hereford for that.

I have been hearing from a number of people who think breds will be worth a fortune in 18 months or so. Probably true, if it rains a lot, and if you have the quality. Guys who are now buying bred cull cows for U$S 700 do not have as nearly as much appreciation upside.

I plan to sell all my steers and buy back some heifers again this winter. Buying heifers is a good way to appreciate your own stock more.

Last edited:

Latest posts