A sentimental question

Help Support CattleToday:

Luv4whippets

Reaction score
So, as some of you may be aware, I have fallen pretty hard for the calf I raised this summer. I know, I know! He is a Jersey cross steer. I know it is not going to be reasonable to keep a pet cow around and am coming to terms with that. But, I was wondering, what if we send him to slaughter and he doesn't even taste good? I would be pretty upset! Can anyone offer any insight into Jersey beef? Do you think we'll be happy with it? We have a great meat cutter and have sent six wonderfully tasty hogs their way, so I'm not worried about the processing. Anything I can do to guarantee he's gonna be tasty? Secrets you'd be willing to share to guarantee I'm not dissappointed? This is the little guy that had the hay belly and he has REALLY turned around thanks to the knowledge you all shared with me. I appreciate it and I'm sorry for being sentimental!

Luv4whippets":2jp2yetr said:
So, as some of you may be aware, I have fallen pretty hard for the calf I raised this summer. I know, I know! He is a Jersey cross steer. I know it is not going to be reasonable to keep a pet cow around and am coming to terms with that. But, I was wondering, what if we send him to slaughter and he doesn't even taste good? I would be pretty upset! Can anyone offer any insight into Jersey beef? Do you think we'll be happy with it? We have a great meat cutter and have sent six wonderfully tasty hogs their way, so I'm not worried about the processing. Anything I can do to guarantee he's gonna be tasty? Secrets you'd be willing to share to guarantee I'm not dissappointed? This is the little guy that had the hay belly and he has REALLY turned around thanks to the knowledge you all shared with me. I appreciate it and I'm sorry for being sentimental!

Trust me - if you fed him right he will taste just fine

Bez+

Luv4whippets":1o8991hu said:

Don't be sorry for being sentimental. We spend a lot of time with our cattle; I think it's natural to feel some sort of affection for them. Each one has a different personalitie and traits. They make me smile. I've read that Jersey is good meat, well marbled and tender. 'Course he's cross bred, so that might make a difference and management is important. Good luck....be strong. :)

So will the hay belly episode affect taste? Or does it matter most how things go from here on out? He is approx 375- 400 Lbs and growing!

How old is he now and when do you want to butcher him.

I like to do my dairy steers a little later as they are later maturing compared to "beef". So I will start to finish them at 15-20 months old they get free choice hay and grain everyday for around three months increasing their grain until they get max amount .I like to break up the grain feedings into twice a day . They turn out very very tasty and well marbled. The only difference with dairy is usually you can feed them and not have to worry about acidosis or founder and the meat is a finer grain .

What grain you feed is up to you. I use steam rolled barley but you can use corn as well if it is more readily available and cheaper.

When he goes to the processors don't forget to give him a big hug, or a few scratches behind the ears. I usually do that with all of mine, as it is normal to get attached and care for something that you are with every day.

The best beef i ever had/raised was Jersey cross. The ones that got graded (all but the one I ate) all graded Prime. You just have to let them get big enough, the worse thing about Jerseys is people selling them to small and unfinished.

Follow hillsdown's advice about finishing him. He should taste fine. I've eaten quite a few Jersey steers. We have one in the lot now.

However I am different from you. We (my children and myself) do not make pets out of the animals that we are going to eat. We don't pet or love on them.
I don't think that I could eat one that I got attached to.

Luv4whippets":368wa52a said:

Many things are more unreasonable than keeping a pet steer around. Several neighbors have multiple horses they don't ride - what's the difference? My brother has 3 Belgian draft horses he doesn't use, costing thousands a year. Saw on 20/20 some women with endless cats in the house - one spending $3000 a month on feed, litter etc.

Latest posts