• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

A Sample

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
1
Location
Kentucky
The paucity of data points will make this only anecdotal. I have bred 18 of my 21 subjects. All breeding has been on observed natural heats. Due to circumstances that arise, some I bred early. Some I bred late. If they were bred less than 8 hours following the onset of standing heat = early. If they were bred greater than 8 hours following the onset of standing heat = late.

The reason I am doing this is because I had about 4 or 5 that I didn't get to until they were very late. I have about an 80 % conception rate and have always been on the early side of the bell curve. Going to be fun.

First one was bred early. She is 22 days this morning and quiet as a mouse. Next one is 21 tomorrow and I bred her late.
 

Bigfoot

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 16, 2012
Messages
12,828
Reaction score
43
Location
Kentucky
I usually use cheap semen------Breed on observed heat, and then breed again 12 hours later. i don't do the whole herd though. Just a few. 80% is awesome. Don't change.
 

Franke

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 17, 2017
Messages
387
Reaction score
9
Location
SE MN
Good job on the percentage. I know a lot of people would be enthused with those results.
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
1
Location
Kentucky
gizmom":1simhcah said:
80% I would be doing a happy dance! Great job!

Gizmom

Thank you. I expect to be 100 %. I put a tremendous effort into it. I log their estrus cycles all fall. My heat detections are thorough. All on natural observed heats. I am diligent in semen handling and my technique is good. During breeding season, I am a devout convert to the Bovine Goddess of fertility. Lol. But there are little Devils out there that are beyond my control. Just look at that one hanging out as my avatar.
 

gizmom

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
3,312
Reaction score
43
Location
Molino Florida
Our herdsman Mike has 100% conception rate every year, if they don’t take AI they go to the barn he doesn’t own a bull. He has been Doing A I on his herd for over 20 years so he has a very maternal herd of about 40 cows. We are happy with anything over 70% but we are breeding over 100 head so don’t have the time to watch for heats we sync a large number, the heifers are bred if they have a red patch. We have 30 or so to set up to put eggs in. I honestly am not that good at AI I am trying to do more now that I am retired but honestly it’s hard for me to do it when Mike is standing there. Not because he makes me nervous, he is extreamly helpful but because I know he is so dang good, and conception would be so much higher with him doing it. Hopefully I will get more proficient.

Gizmom
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
1
Location
Kentucky
gizmom":botpsg9c said:
Our herdsman Mike has 100% conception rate every year, if they don’t take AI they go to the barn he doesn’t own a bull. He has been Doing A I on his herd for over 20 years so he has a very maternal herd of about 40 cows. We are happy with anything over 70% but we are breeding over 100 head so don’t have the time to watch for heats we sync a large number, the heifers are bred if they have a red patch. We have 30 or so to set up to put eggs in. I honestly am not that good at AI I am trying to do more now that I am retired but honestly it’s hard for me to do it when Mike is standing there. Not because he makes me nervous, he is extreamly helpful but because I know he is so dang good, and conception would be so much higher with him doing it. Hopefully I will get more proficient.

Gizmom

Is he 100 % on first service? I am 100 % too but last year I had to go back on 3 and reservice. So far, I have not had to cull based on failure to stick to AI.
 

wbvs58

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2011
Messages
5,236
Reaction score
59
Location
S.E. Queensland, Australia
Ron, I think your results are about as good as it gets, your attention to detail is what is getting you the results you are to be congratulated. I think there are two separate entities in an AI programme, the 1st is getting the timing right and the 2nd is depositing the semen in the most advantageous spot, both are of equal importance.
In a synchronised programme when large numbers are done not all cows get done at their optimal time, I think this is why natural heats comes up trumps.

Ken
 

gizmom

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
3,312
Reaction score
43
Location
Molino Florida
Ron

Sorry I didn’t mean to imply he was 100% on first service, just that he is 100% AI he doesn’t have a bull. I agree with wbvs58 your results are about as good as it gets. He is dead on as far as synchronized programs as well, although they work they won’t get you the conception rates your getting with breeding on natural heat. You should be very proud of your results, they are the result of hard work and diligence.

Gizmom
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
1
Location
Kentucky
Report as of 12/15/17.

6 have passed 21 days.
1 came into heat on day 20.

Score 6 to 1

4 of the 6 were short
2 of the 6 were long
The miss was a long. 15 hours after first observed stand.
 

wbvs58

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 20, 2011
Messages
5,236
Reaction score
59
Location
S.E. Queensland, Australia
Good thanks Ron, I like to hold off on inseminating but my trigger finger gets itchy and I usually do them earlier than I intend but if I hold off for 6 hours I think it helps.

Ken
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
1
Location
Kentucky
wbvs58":1wh712ar said:
Good thanks Ron, I like to hold off on inseminating but my trigger finger gets itchy and I usually do them earlier than I intend but if I hold off for 6 hours I think it helps.

Ken

Funny how that works. Will keep you informed.
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
1
Location
Kentucky
As of 12/19/2017

I have 9 that have passed over 21 days post-AI. One did not. That is a 90 % conception rate on first service. Better than last year.

The Bovine Goddess of fertility smiles on this Kentucky Hillbilly!

11 more to go. Only 2 have not been serviced yet.
 

Lazy M

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2013
Messages
1,435
Reaction score
26
Location
KY
Bright Raven":3w1yd8pl said:
As of 12/19/2017

I have 9 that have passed over 21 days post-AI. One did not. That is a 90 % conception rate on first service. Better than last year.

The Bovine Goddess of fertility smiles on this Kentucky Hillbilly!

11 more to go. Only 2 have not been serviced yet.
Nice work! It's been great weather this fall/winter for ai work. Easy on both the cattle and the breeder
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
1
Location
Kentucky
Lazy M":2uj7rto7 said:
Bright Raven":2uj7rto7 said:
As of 12/19/2017

I have 9 that have passed over 21 days post-AI. One did not. That is a 90 % conception rate on first service. Better than last year.

The Bovine Goddess of fertility smiles on this Kentucky Hillbilly!

11 more to go. Only 2 have not been serviced yet.
Nice work! It's been great weather this fall/winter for ai work. Easy on both the cattle and the breeder

Thanks. It really has. Not any mud. I bred one this afternoon. Went easy.
 
OP
B

Bright Raven

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 10, 2017
Messages
10,701
Reaction score
1
Location
Kentucky
Farm Report:

No one was shot coming up the driveway this week. No incidence of trespassing captured on drones or surveillance cameras. Little humor!

As of 21 December 2017.

11 subjects have quietly passed their 21 day cycle. 2 subjects came back into estrus and were reserviced.

Seems to be no significant difference if they were long or short.

8 subjects remain. 6 have not passed their 21 day service call. 2 have not been bred. 1 of those 2 has been set on a 7 day timed AI protocol. The other is a heifer that I am trying to determine her cycle.
 

Latest posts

Top