A reminder

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
A neighbor was killed by a cow day before yesterday. I've heard several versions of what she was doing at the time, but the only human that knows for sure is dead. The various storys range from trying to move the cow, trying to pull a calf, checking on a premature ccalf. By the time the neighbors could get to her she was already dead.
It isn;t just bulls that we need to look out for. Even cows that have been handled regularly can react in unpredictable ways.

dun

Thanks for sharing Dun. I think most of us - me for sure - get into a routine and get lax is some areas. We think we know our animals and the truth is nothing can be "routine" - there's always a change for a hitch to come up somewhere.

Yup, something that big can hurt you and not intend to. Sorry about your neighbor Dun.

thanks for reminding us of that dun.bulls are known killers so ppl watch them.an will turn back on cows wich you cant do.b/c they can an will kill to.scott

This wasn;t some newby cow raiser. She eas an experienced cattlewoman and I'm sure had done the same thing hundreds of times in the past. Since it's a closed herd this would have been a cow that was familiar.

dun

I had an accident last year with a cow and luckily only ended up with broken ribs. At the time though I was pretty sure I was dying while I laid on the ground.

When non farmers heard it was a cow that got me I heard lots of jokes, but people that know livestock knew better.

A few months later my dad was charged by a steer that he was trying to chase into the barn. He was just sore, but it's pretty funny watching the two of us try to move cattle on foot now because were both pretty gun shy still.

i had a friend that is in his 60's had cattle for 40 years and was unloading one at the sale barn and she came around the corner and nailed him to the pipe fence. he was lucky he stayed on his feet. he couldn't hardly walk for a week,he raised that cow who would have thought.

Handling animals is like rideing a motorcycle or boating. When we become so familiar that we loose repect for the environment someone is going to get hurt. Last year a neighbor was attending a newborn of one of his pets..in the field...and she got him. Was in a cast for several months with a broken femur. Not fun.

Sorry to hear about your neighbor, dun.

dun":10rxipvq said:
A neighbor was killed by a cow day before yesterday. I've heard several versions of what she was doing at the time, but the only human that knows for sure is dead. The various storys range from trying to move the cow, trying to pull a calf, checking on a premature ccalf. By the time the neighbors could get to her she was already dead.
It isn;t just bulls that we need to look out for. Even cows that have been handled regularly can react in unpredictable ways.

dun

I'm sorry to hear that, Dun. We went to a meeting at the Noble Foundation last night and there were a lot of newbys there. I heard at least two of them bragging about how tame their cattle were and how they liked to be scratched. I also heard several people warn them about how dangerous cows can be, but I'm not sure it sunk in on them.

It has been my experience it is almost always when they are scared or in pain or in heat when they turn on you. Sorry about your neighbor.

ChrisB":3k8a5bdj said:
He was just sore, but it's pretty funny watching the two of us try to move cattle on foot now because were both pretty gun shy still.

Brother and I are overly gun shy around bulls now that both of us have been taken this summer.

never hurts to be reminded. sometimes cows can be more dangerous than bulls just like dull knives can be more dangerous than sharp ones

brokenmouth":njbyalr1 said:
never hurts to be reminded. sometimes cows can be more dangerous than bulls just like dull knives can be more dangerous than sharp ones

exactly. people are more wary around bulls but get careless around cows. we all need to be careful just putting out minerals and stuff too. that thread about butthead calves and cows after range cubes got me thinking about that too. thats one reason i dont feed anything out of a sack to anthing unless its really sick or a bull. (except minerals of course)

Beefy":28rbq4il said:
brokenmouth":28rbq4il said:

exactly. people are more wary around bulls but get careless around cows. we all need to be careful just putting out minerals and stuff too. that thread about butthead calves and cows after range cubes got me thinking about that too. thats one reason i dont feed anything out of a sack to anthing unless its really sick or a bull. (except minerals of course)

and cows are actually more dangerous if they take you because in most cases a bull with come at you eyes closed so you can get out of the way easier, cows will have their eyes open and catch you no matter what

Good reminder... someone we work with "hands on" the most (they've been doing it 25 years to our 2 years) has a sign on their fence... it's a picture of a cow saying "I can make it to the fence in 2 seconds, can you?" With Beefmasters, they appear tame but I always think of that sign in the back of my mind. Sorry for the loss of your neighbor, good neighbors are few and far between.

Sorry to hear about your neighbor. Thanks for the reminder, we all need to remember what they can do, myself included.

We also are sorry for the loss of a good neighbor. A strong reminder that we can be called at anytime. Easy to take the awesome power of these animals for granted...my son had a bruise all summer from a two month old steer calf, thank God he missed his knee. DMc

Goes to show that you can never let your guard down. Doesn't matter if you've worked around Cattle all your life. All it takes is one time. Dun I'm sorry for the loss of your neighbor, but it stands as a harsh reminder of the sheer strength of Cattle.

Sorry to hear. Right now I am thinking of building some new lots. The book I am referencing has outs to be put in for this. That the only thing I can think of to add. Is never get yourself into a position you can't get out of. Hard at times. I read this and have to think. My father had the same advice.

Scotty