A reminder

Help Support CattleToday:

Sorry to here about your Neighbor. Had to pull a calf a couple yrs ago and the Cow charged at me and broke my arm could have been a lot worse I guess. that same cow will come up and eat out of your hand now, you just never know.

Hi I've been reading your forum for quite some time now and I finally feel that you all are pretty good folks. When I read about the accident with your neighbor and having to care for and being around animals,it kinda hit home. Sometime you just have to respect animals for what they are. Just my thoughts for now. Sure am sorry about your neighbor. And just wanted to say HI to all of you. Juno

juno":1yn4n803 said:
Hi I've been reading your forum for quite some time now and I finally feel that you all are pretty good folks. When I read about the accident with your neighbor and having to care for and being around animals,it kinda hit home. Sometime you just have to respect animals for what they are. Just my thoughts for now. Sure am sorry about your neighbor. And just wanted to say HI to all of you. Juno

Exactly. I have some Angus bulls that will let you pet them(dog like). Wife loves it. I don't. I like that they are calm but I never go without my hearding stick. I realize it might not make a difference but I at least have something.

Scotty

This was a great loss. Someone has lost a mother, daughter and maybe even a sister. So sorry to hear about the news. There is some very great advice already. An animal will always be an animal, no matter what kind of halter you have on it or how long you have trained it. We were at a show a couple of years ago. Our little boys first time to show. We were showing a heifer at the time. Bulls were not allowed, but some people I guess didn't know how to read. Our heifer just happened to be coming into heat for the very first time unfortunatly for us we did not know this when we showed up, but we did find out pretty fast. It took several men to get her past the bull who happened to be tied right by the show ring. I'll tell you it was a mess. You never know what can happen when you are dealing with cattle. We made it through that night and was so ready to go home. We learned more that night then we had all week about cattle.
He won first place by the way and breed champion!
You guys be careful out there.
Greenwillows Wife

Hate to hear about it dun. Hopefully your post will keep this happening to someone else. It's just a reminder of what a creature that big is capable of and its not as easy on you when they're they ones reminding you of that. I know my a## and knee still sore from the trip I took over a corall.

From Cow and Calf weekly 8/26/05

"The Unpredictability Of A Mother's Protective Spirit
I've heard many a good cattleman say he prefers an over-protective cow to an indifferent one. I fully understand that -- nothing's more frustrating than a first-calf heifer that doesn't seem to understand what it means to be a mother.

We have one standing rule on our place -- if a cow has intentions of molesting me or my wife when it comes to tagging or weighing her calf, she's earned the right to move to greener pastures. I'll tolerate a good cow that bellows a bit at me when I hoist her calf up to weigh it, but I'd better sense concern more than animosity.

But, as a male, I believe it's impossible to fully comprehend the magnitude of maternal instinct. My case in point is a recent County Events Day, where the really little ones enter up in mutton busting while the older kids try their hand at riding a steer. Our six-year-old was convinced he'd passed the days of riding something with wool on it; he was ready for bigger, better things.

I thought Grandpa would bust with pride when he pointed out to my son a big old Brahman bull behind the chutes and asked, "Is that the one you're going to ride?" My boy responded in all earnestness, "I don't know. We don't get to pick which one we draw."

His bravado wasn't much appreciated by his mother, however. I didn't realize how close we'd come to eliciting the same maternal response as a cranky cow that perceives her calf is being threatened. But when I stepped up to mom, who was watching over the fence anxiously, and put my hand on her shoulder, I could feel her muscles tense like coils of steel.

With her attention solely focused on the arena, my approach caught her by surprise and she wheeled around with an agility that can only be summoned by thousands of years of selection for maternal instinct. The fiberglass sorting stick she was holding snapped in two like an NFL linebacker would snap a pencil.

Now, I've driven over similar sort sticks with my tractor without so much as splintering it. My wife and I stood there, looking at each other, bewildered by the full glory of what we'd just witnessed.

My dad tells the story of how I went running across the pasture as a little boy, with a foal chasing me. I stumbled over a clump of buffalo grass, and the colt ran right over the top of me.

My dad swears my mom climbed out of our Bronco without opening the door. Somehow from a sitting position, she jumped right through the open window. I always thought my dad was stretching the truth to add a little more "flavor" to the story. Now, I realize he loves to tell this story because he, too, had witnessed the power of a mother's love when her baby was threatened.

My perspective on a protective cow will never be the same. I'll still send that cow to town, but the next time a concerned mama cow let's me know it, I'm a whole lot less likely to stand my ground.

We should all remember that a mother's love is a force of nature that shouldn't be trifled with.
-- Troy Marshall "

sorry to hear about your neighbor dun, good neighbors are hard to find!
we all tend to get lax around our stock, and this is a good reminder to keep our heads up and eyes open! around any stock friendly (PET'S) or that wild one in the far corner of the pasture!

I too know the importance of a good neighbor. We have a relitivley small ranch compared to alot of the ranchers around here, and all the neighbors swap help at shippings and other workings. I am always a little wary about cattle. especially when it gets this hot. kaneranch

Latest posts