A real Beginner

Help Support CattleToday:

How big is your family....raising beef for your freezer is a wonderful experience and will reward you with flavor that most city folks haven't ever tasted...but...a Angus steer will yield a whole freezer full, the Herefords a bit less.
We started raising beef for our families and friends and now have more requests for beef than steers to finish. Just make your move, make some friends and see how it develops but I would hold off on the cattle until you know the location and the demand...you could be in a saturated market....hard to sell beef to a cattleman. Just how rural are you planning on living it could be a big shock or alot of fun and a real adventure.
Good luck...oh yes, Herefords make great pets...if you have issues with their primary purpose...we have a son who will do anything on the farm but won't watch a slaughter.

The advice has been great. I have run the numbers but again I am not going into business of selling right away. Just raising for the freezer. Like any business start with what I can handle learn from it and then grow. Too much manure and water can make weeds. The advice of getting the infastructure ready was great - thanks. I have enjoyed this board. Great info.

mabe you need to read the post again. he didn't ask if he needed anybody's approval or advice on moving. he said he was going to do it. who made you god ? what right do you have to dictate anyones decisions in life. i gather you have some thing you wanted to try, but never did. you get to worrying about your money or lack of & it will kill you. i have lost money in that stock market & it didn't kill me. i came in this world just as broke as you & we'll both go out the same way. it is living to fulfill your dreams that keeps you alive in the heart. he didn't say he even planned to make any money to speak of from the cattle. person should never be afraid to live & take chances. the lord helps those that help themselves. you ever see how they live in those cities, kind of like florida, wouldn't live in either one if they gave them to me. thought the board was set up to help people, not destroy their dreams & kill their soul. you do what you want & i don't try to tell you what to do & iam sure you don't want walter to tell you what you should do either. so, where is your common courtesy?

Walter":323tdocj said:
The advice has been great. I have run the numbers but again I am not going into business of selling right away. Just raising for the freezer. Like any business start with what I can handle learn from it and then grow. Too much manure and water can make weeds. The advice of getting the infastructure ready was great - thanks. I have enjoyed this board. Great info.

http://www.progressivefarmer.com/farmer ... 52,00.html

Caustic Burno":17jsuu2x said:
Dun gave this man some great advice unlike you. Its very easy to be free with someones life savings when you have nothing to lose huh. If you approached the NYSE with your advice you would end up dead broke. This is no different in investing in the stock market on Wall Street without research and advice from a good broker. Dun acted as a very wise broker here.

I agree Dun gave some good advise, but if he can lose his life savings on cattle with 20 acres of land...well he might not have enough money to buy gas to get to TN.

cowspider":17r34x0p said:
Are you sure your not trying to keep all that TN. moonshine and wild hogs to yourself?? :D :lol: :shock:
Cowspider, I'm gonna take the fifth on that one. ;-) Walter, where in TN are you moving to?

We are moving to around Paris Tennessee(north west area). We love the idea of Kentucky lake. Love fishing. We are Real Estate Brokers in California so we also plan (in a 100 mile radius) to purchase homes refubish then and resale them. Wife wants to open a coffee House. I just requested the back porch of the coffee for a coffee drinking and cigar smoking room. Need a place to lie about the fish. Broke the news to our motorcycle club tonight. They support me but think I am crazy ( I have been called worse)

Susie David":2gzb2ufv said:
....raising beef for your freezer is a wonderful experience and will reward you with flavor that most city folks haven't ever tasted...but...a Angus steer will yield a whole freezer full, the Herefords a bit less.

And if you want some exceptional eating, opt for Murray Grey's! :D

HEY WALTER NOT ALL OF NEW YORK HAS BUMS AND SIDE WALKS OR FOR THE MATTER STREET LIGHTS I LIVE IN SANTEE CA AND I CANT WAIT TO GET BACK TO NEW YORK TO THE FARM GOOD LUCK :)

HEY WALTER NOT ALL OF NEW YORK HAS BUMS AND SIDE WALKS OR FOR THE MATTER STREET LIGHTS I LIVE IN SANTEE CA AND I CANT WAIT TO GET BACK TO NEW YORK TO THE FARM GOOD LUCK :)

NY-JB":2qrhi8vl said:

It's good that you want to go back to NY. Will you please call all your friends that have moved down south and tell them how great NY is and that they all need to move back up there. Remind them how hot and humid it is down south. How the southerners are uneducated rednecks who never got over the war. How southerners drive so well, are considerate of others, say yes mam and yes sir, don't shove others around in stores, or walk on the wrong side of the isle. Remind them to how southerners don't think they own everything, don't complain much, don't ask for free services, how they speak slowly so the northerners can understand what they are saying, how they leave washing machines, tires, old jeeps, tire swings, and old tractors sitting in their yards (we quit doing this some years back as we realized you guys would move in next to us anyway and then call code enforcement on us). Our dogs bite, they litter your yard, keep you awake at night, and the smell from our farms should be enough to run anyone off. We have tried everything and nothing works so maybe you can convince them? :lol: :lol: :lol:

This board sure can get exciting in a hurry. But I have a question. In north west Tennessee can 2 cows be raise adequite on 10 acres. I want to purchase at least 10. One acre around home and split the remaining into crossed fenced pastures. Or will I need more?

Crowderfarms":2sb3jd61 said:
Flaboy, who peed in your lunch box today?

Aw, I was just pulling NY-JB's chain. Although I walked through Lowes yesterday and ran into some jackals. Maybe that did it. :lol:

Walter":hzx3v11v said:
This board sure can get exciting in a hurry. But I have a question. In north west Tennessee can 2 cows be raise adequite on 10 acres. I want to purchase at least 10. One acre around home and split the remaining into crossed fenced pastures. Or will I need more?
Walter, there's some pretty good soil in that part of the State. You should have no problem, the way land is skyrocketing, you might want to buy all you can in one shot.

Latest posts