A real Beginner

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

A change in life for us. I live in Southern California city slicker :shock: Wife and I are tired of the city after 30 years. We are going to relocate to Tennessee and We want to raise a few beef cows. We are also opening a coffee shop and invest real estate.
OK now the question - How many and what age, what kind (hope angus black or red) and how much can I expect to pay)
Nope I am not joking we are going to do this. We are buying 10 to 20 acres. Please help. Thanks in advance.

I think for 10-20 acres, you mean very few cattle. With no experience, my best suggestion is get a couple bred cows. Not into Angus, so I cant help ya on price. Some other here should be of more use.

Angus are a good all around breed of beef cattle. I'm partial to the Reds myself, but its really just a cosmetic choice (though I do think the regular black Angus sell better; chalk it up to better PR by their association). Polled Herefords are also a great choice and make a wonderful cross with either color Angus. If you are completely new to beef cattle then I wouldn't mess with anything other than those breeds.

To start with I'd look into buying five or so bred cows (not heifers) of whichever breed of Angus you like best. Price depends greatly on bloodlines, market conditions, etc., but generally will be between $500 and $2000 for a bred cow (once again depending on a variety of conditions). Feed and equiptment is gonna set you back a bit, so don't be surprised if you end up losing money on them the first year or so. By the way, are you planning on rasing for sale or for your own freezer?

Others with broader experience than my own will probably be more able to help than I. Good luck on your move and new life. :)

Not directly related to cattle, but spend a year in TN before you get into livestock. We see a great many people move from CA to get away from the ratrace/lifestyle. The majority of them pack it in and move to other more urban states/areas within a year or two. It's a major adjustment that not everyone can make. All of them think that they'll be the ones that make the change but few of them do.
After you're sure you'll be staying, get your infrastructure in place before getting the first animal. Fences, watering facilities, fences, etc. See how your neighbors do things, not just the succesfull ones but also the marginal and failures. Learn from others mistakes. Spend as much time and effort you can getting an education in livestock. Find some good quality crossbred cows, start small and expand as feasible.

dun

dun":13ar5sbc said:
Not directly related to cattle, but spend a year in TN before you get into livestock. We see a great many people move from CA to get away from the ratrace/lifestyle. The majority of them pack it in and move to other more urban states/areas within a year or two. It's a major adjustment that not everyone can make. All of them think that they'll be the ones that make the change but few of them do.
After you're sure you'll be staying, get your infrastructure in place before getting the first animal. Fences, watering facilities, fences, etc. See how your neighbors do things, not just the succesfull ones but also the marginal and failures. Learn from others mistakes. Spend as much time and effort you can getting an education in livestock. Find some good quality crossbred cows, start small and expand is feasible.

dun
Dun. That has to be some of the best advice I've ever seen given. We have more people move here from California, and Florida, only to see a for sale sign on a place a year later.You have to make sure you want to live the Country Life.The Grocery store is no longer a 2 minute drive, and the closest movie theatre is 25 miles away.There are no sidewalks, or street lights. best thing to do is meet your neighbors if you move here, join a Church, and let people know who you are and your intentions, I guarantee you you'll get plenty of help. We've taken several people under our wings that wanted to learn about Cattle, and Farming. they are good folks, but were green as a tree.The Country life ain't for everone. Thank goodness.

Crowderfarms":y4pnespp said:
That has to be some of the best advice I've ever seen given. We have more people move here from California, and Florida, only to see a for sale sign on a place a year later.

Dang Crowder be quiet. I keep sending these transplanted Floridians up there telling them how great it is and how they will just love it. You see us old crackers are trying to help you guys out. :p

Crowderfarms Wrote:

The Country life ain't for everone. Thank goodness.

Thats why theres not that many people that live in the country.

Dick

flaboy":2151lqs4 said:
Crowderfarms":2151lqs4 said:
That has to be some of the best advice I've ever seen given. We have more people move here from California, and Florida, only to see a for sale sign on a place a year later.

Dang Crowder be quiet. I keep sending these transplanted Floridians up there telling them how great it is and how they will just love it. You see us old crackers are trying to help you guys out. :p
I thought we were friends?

Crowderfarms":kf7ww9yw said:
flaboy":kf7ww9yw said:
Crowderfarms":kf7ww9yw said:

I thought we were friends?

Well, what are friends for? :lol:

Yankee = someone from North of the line (California counts too)who comes south to visit

D#MN Yankee* = someone from North of the line who comes south to visit and stays.

*For all you folks with the tender arses this is a joke!

I think I came to the right spot. No one holding back and buttering the bread. I am from Louisiana (Left in 1972). Not new to small towns. When we moved to Temecula,CA 17 years ago it had 20,000 people now 17 years later we have over 100,000 and traffic worse then Los angelas.
Great advice from all. Really appreciate it. One good thing about leaving california is you can't afford to go back the housing market rises too fast. So you folk are stuck with us.
I will raise the cattle for our own freezer for awhile.
again you guys are great. And yes we had 2 earthquakes last week.

Walter":3po1v237 said:
I think I came to the right spot. No one holding back and buttering the bread. I am from Louisiana (Left in 1972). Not new to small towns. When we moved to Temecula,CA 17 years ago it had 20,000 people now 17 years later we have over 100,000 and traffic worse then Los angelas.
Great advice from all. Really appreciate it. One good thing about leaving california is you can't afford to go back the housing market rises too fast. So you folk are stuck with us.
I will raise the cattle for our own freezer for awhile.
again you guys are great. And yes we had 2 earthquakes last week.

Hey Walter, on your way out say hello to my son will you? He will be the white kid standing on the sidewalk with dreds, carrying a boombox, grooving to the music, and singing "hey buddy can you spare a dime". :oops:

flaboy":2u6ehhtz said:
Hey Walter, on your way out say hello to my son will you? He will be the white kid standing on the sidewalk with dreds, carrying a boombox, grooving to the music, and singing "hey buddy can you spare a dime". :oops:

I heard that was a great paying carear in New York :D

Why do you want to butter everything up, there has been some good advice. Many a person has lost their butt in the cattle biz.
I wonder how many on this board actually make money after reading a lot of the post, and how many keep what they have going out of a sack.

caustic, i would guess you never had a dream, it's kind of like falling in love. better to have loved & lost, then to have never loved at all. better to have tried an adventure & lost everything than to be to chicken to try anything & look back at your short life & say, i wish i had tried this or that.

jerry27150":1dgqk715 said:
caustic, i would guess you never had a dream, it's kind of like falling in love. better to have loved & lost, then to have never loved at all. better to have tried an adventure & lost everything than to be to chicken to try anything & look back at your short life & say, i wish i had tried this or that.

Dun gave this man some great advice unlike you. Its very easy to be free with someones life savings when you have nothing to lose huh. If you approached the NYSE with your advice you would end up dead broke. This is no different in investing in the stock market on Wall Street without research and advice from a good broker. Dun acted as a very wise broker here.

Latest posts