a question

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
I got a question!
I have heard you guys talk about mexican buzzards, what exactly do they look like ??
I have some moving in that aren't like our regular turkey buzzards these seem to be alot more aggressive and a heck of alot uglier than our common buzzards and they are smaller also

they also flock together alot isn't uncommon to see 20 or so sitting on a barn roof

The one's I saw in east Tx had white wing tips and were trying to attack a newly born calf. Mom had a full time job fighting them off.

If I remember correctly Caustic has had some experience with them. Maybe he will chime in. Seems like I read they are a protected species and require some sort of permit to kill them. Seems like S,S,S would be the typical response.

http://www.peregrinefund.org/explore_raptors/falcons/crstcara.html
crcara1.jpg

crcara4.jpg

I don't notice that much red on the face on the ones around here. Not often I really am able to get very close to them. Dad thought they were Bald Eagles when they first started showing up and did look like a small version of them except for the black cap on their heads.

The crested caracas is a mexican eagle, also buzzard/vulture. The vultures that I think they're talking about don;t have as much white. But it's pretty achedemic since they both have atrocious diets if you're raising stock.

I think the mexican buzzard is all over Texas now. I know Central Texas has them. Agressive as he&& and you can hardly flush them off a dead animal in the middle of the road. The will kill calves too. I'm pretty sure all buzzards are protected but have never known of a game warden to do anything about you shooting htem to protect livestock. I've seen a few of the mexican eagles too but not often.

There heads will have feathers unlike th regular turkey buzzards ugly red head. When they fly you should see a few white feathers on the wing tips. Not only will they kill a little calf but will eat the cows hind end out if they catch her having the calf. Shoot to kill Brad.

Angus Cowman":bxj6oah8 said:
the ones I am seeing are solid black and just a little smaller than our turkey buzzards
will try to get a pic of one
Sounds like those black headed mexican buzzards. They'll take over and before long you won't be seeing the native buzzards. (hmmm...sounds like the same problem we have with everything "mexican". )

TexasBred":24m3vc0n said:
Angus Cowman":24m3vc0n said:
the ones I am seeing are solid black and just a little smaller than our turkey buzzards
will try to get a pic of one
Sounds like those black headed mexican buzzards. They'll take over and before long you won't be seeing the native buzzards. (hmmm...sounds like the same problem we have with everything "mexican". )

With a much more simple solution. :cowboy:

highgrit":1aurfj2y said:
Turkey vultures, buzzards, mexcan or not are predators to calves and need to be treated as such.

Who'da thunk it, I figured the mexican ones would be after goats. Better put your sheep up AC! :lol:

The ones we call Mexican buzzards have black heads and the tips of their wings are white. They also don't have much in the way of tailfeathers. Around here you can watch the turkey buzzards find the meal and get started in on it, then the Mexican buzzards show up and run off the tb's. Hateful little ba$tards. There's an old dead tree that they like to sit in that's just a touch over 200 yards from my back porch, at least they're good for something...

Here is the black vulture. This is the one that I have seen in my pastures. They are extremely aggressive and there will sometimes be 50-100 sitting around a field surrounding a cow with a new calf. I do not know that they have ever killed a calf, but I suspect they have, I just wasnt there to see how it died. I have never seen the turkey vultures there when I saw the black ones. These might be the ones you are talking about.
http://vultures.homestead.com/Black.html

stocky":n0gotdgf said:
Here is the black vulture. This is the one that I have seen in my pastures. They are extremely aggressive and there will sometimes be 50-100 sitting around a field surrounding a cow with a new calf. I do not know that they have ever killed a calf, but I suspect they have, I just wasnt there to see how it died. I have never seen the turkey vultures there when I saw the black ones. These might be the ones you are talking about.
yep that is the ones!!!!!!!!!

for some reason we seem to be having less of them this week I guess they have ate something that made them get sick and die
you will see one flying hear a pop and then they hit the ground flopping and go to flopping and hopping all over the ground
I have seen around 12 or them die this same way this week
maybe too much lead in their diet or something

stocky":1ipv5rv6 said:

That's what folks around here refer to as a Mexican Black. Those bastards hunt. If they can catch a cow down and calving they'll go for the calf's eyes. Then he's their meal.

fitz

Latest posts