A Little Gun Shy (pics)

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Whooo boy, have I discovered what that is all about. As some of you may know I had a horse fall over on me and break some ribs about a year ago. It is not the first time I have been injured by a horse, but it is apparently the first time it actually sunk in.

The mare that did it to me has been ridden by me since, and also by my husband, with basically no problems, but every time I thnk about riding her I get those butterflies in my stomach. Which is quite a new thing for me. It has slowed down my approach to young horses quite a bit as well, which could be a good thing in that I spend a lot more time ground working now than I used to. But it is also a bad thing, because I put off getting in the saddle even when I know that the horse is ready for that stage.

Today I rode the mare, Ivy, for the first time in quite a while. I spent the whole ride with those butterflies tumbling around. She, of course did nothing bad, didn't throw any fits, small or otherwise, and yet, I am still nervous about riding her. And mention a trail ride and her together (that is where she hurt me), and I do not want to go there. It is amazing how our mind works, I wonder how long it will take me to get over this.

Here are some pics of her

DSC05174.jpg

DSC05166.jpg

Nice horse, shes too white for me... but other than that she looks like a stong well put togther animal. Great job getting back on and riding her, those buterflies will go away soon.

Does she have a white eye?
I always heard a horse with a white eye was eivel. Sell her. Life is too short to put up with bad horses.

alabama":2iklrs7i said:
Does she have a white eye?
I always heard a horse with a white eye was eivel. Sell her. Life is too short to put up with bad horses.

Umm, yes, she has blue eyes. Don't really see how that would make her evil. She is actually quite a sweetheart, and generally pretty easy to get along with. One accident, that happened because I pushed her too hard too soon doesn't make her a bad horse......

funky 4-Her":45kk0axs said:
Nice horse, shes too white for me... but other than that she looks like a stong well put togther animal. Great job getting back on and riding her, those buterflies will go away soon.

Why, thank-you. She has really filled out in the last year, and I am quite impressed with her now. I know they will go, just wonder how long it will take.

I know what you're saying Randilana - I've been riding horses my whole life and breaking babies for most of it. A few years ago I started a little molly mule for my hubby, all was going really well - almost too easy, if you know what I mean, then about the 3rd or 4th time I had her out in the hills, we were going down a really mild hill and she broke in two - I just couldn't get her head back pointed uphill and I came off and broke my collarbone, and the first rib underneath the collarbone - then had to get back on and ride her home. Anyhow, I'm still messed up about it - I just can't bring myself to just step back on a new colt without twice as much preparation as I used to do. I guess at my age (46) I just don't bounce near as gracefully as I once did - I've always been pretty fearless when it comes to horses - but I really have lost alot of nerve - don't like going down the steep hills even on my broke horses? Gettin old isn't all it's cracked up to be, that's for sure - but I'm pretty sure it's better than the alternative! Just keep working at it - it'll all work out for you. I'm not sure you can be too careful anyway!

You say she broke in two. I keep hearing that expression. What is it that's happening when a horse breaks in two ?

Sorry - just an old expression - meaning she bogged her head and went to bucking! She'd a made Cotton Rosser Proud!
In other words - she bucked, I couldn't get her head up or get her pointed back up the hill and I got dumped! I don't know where the expression "broke in two" comes from? Just something my Dad used to say and it stuck with me.

I have found, that you just have to get on and do it. But, that isn't saying that you shouldn't listen to your intuition either. But with this mare, I know it is just in MY mind since I have watched hubby ride her for the last year, and he has never had any trouble with her. So I just have to get back on her and go. I can see where you have a problem with hills after that fiasco. Best thing you can do is force yourself on one of your older horses, that you trust. And work your way back up to being able to handle it. It is truly amazing how our minds work. How you can be so tentative about doing something even when you know that the horse you are riding won't do anything bad..... And, you are right, better to be a little too careful, than not careful enough, especially on a young horse.

Too many white feet for me. :lol:

I'm not sure what to tell you about getting over your butterflies. As a young kid/man I got dumped and bumped a lot because I didn't care, I would climb aboard anything if someone would hold it long enough for me to get on. Fortunately, I didn't kill myself. Recently (let's say a bit older) I have been head darted, rode a few out, got beat up in the saddle but stayed on bleeding and bruised up.

For me it's just getting right back on. If I do that I don't seem to dwell on the bad stuff. I know it can be hard to climb back on after a wreck but if the horse will let me I do. Like I said before I climbed on one bareback with a broken shoulder and rode 3 miles back home. Now I know what they mean by cowboy up....

How does that go Flaboy?

One white foot buy em.
Two white feet try em.
Three white feet, be on the sly.
Four white feet, pass em by.

sjr725":x4ak9smo said:
How does that go Flaboy?

One white foot buy em.
Two white feet try em.
Three white feet, be on the sly.
Four white feet, pass em by.

Here's another version;
One white foot buy em.
Two white feet try em.
Three white feet, deny him.
Four white feet, take off his hide and throw him to the crows.

Or

One white foot buy em.
Two white feet try em.
Three white feet, keep him not a day.
Four white feet, get rid of him right away.

The first one was my dad's favorite. ;-)

"without fear there is no courage"

nightmares and fear are more common than you think. Dont let it stop you.
No fear equals no brains or little experience.

Some thoughts on introducing a horse to going down hills.
This bothers some colts way more than others.
Its your weight going forward on them that they have to get used to.
I find its better to start on smaller hills and little by little go to bigger ,steeper hills over a period of several rides.
Also helps if you have to go down the hill to go back home instead of the opposite. This way the colt wants to go down the grade/hill.

Another thought
Most hills or trails going down hills, well usually there is less angle to the hill on one side of you or the other.
If the colt takes off or starts to go to fast down a hill and if you have to double him to get him stoped. Make sure you double him to the side on the side of the hillthat has less grade to it.
Another thing
Dont lean way backwards trying to put your weight back as you ride down the hill. The more you shift your weight back the more you allow the horse to string himself out. Stay pretty centered. The horse has to learn to collect himself. BTW This is a great chance to work at introducing headset/collection because the horse is going to want to do it anyways going down a hill.

Most horses don't want to fall over, even if she fell apart because you asked to much of her falling on you was probably an accident that she doesn't want to repeat. She is older now and less clumsy, she will try not to get silly and fall on you, she looks smart.

Latest posts