a little gross

Help Support CattleToday:

hillside

Reaction score
i have a bucket calf been sick but recovering (scouring). feeding him 4 times a day. feed him last night a 8:30. Went down this morning and found magots under him and around his rectom and in rectum. i sprayed him down w/ fly spray,iodine,gave him penicillion,tubed mineral oil down him. he drank 2 and a half quarts of milk/thrive and he got IV. He also got wormer in milk. is there any thing else to do?????? thaks HILLSIDE

You wormed a bucket calf? Did you think the maggots came from the inside of the calf? The maggots would come from flies laying eggs in wet, soiled bedding. I would clean the pen to eliminate the places for the flies to lay eggs.

Flies are going to gravitate to a scouring calf in huge numbers. And, they will lay their eggs on and around the calves rectum...and the eggs will hatch out. One day you see flies...the next day you see what appears to be tons of maggots.

Wash the calf's rectum and legs off with soapy water, put some pet fly spray on the calf, and move the calf to a clean pen. If the calf continues to scour, repeat the process. Where there's scours, there's flies, where there's flies there's maggots, most especially in the spring and summer.

It's a nasty sight...I know! But it looks a whole lot worse than it actually is.

One question...why did you give the calf mineral oil...especially if he's recovering from scours?

Alice :)

Sounds to me like you might clean up the area this calf is located in as well - flies hate dry and clean.

Bez>

thanks for tips. we wormed him cause i seen magots go in side him,problably not right thing to do. i gave him mineral oil to maybe flush him out. we moved him to a clean dry pin immediately and cleaned him up. we raise 100 calves at a time, so they are in these pens till weaned but we straw twice a day. we was very supprised to see this the smorning. calf seams to be doing alot better now. thanks for all suggestions they are always appreciated. HILLSIDE

Latest posts