It’s a little early for this

Help Support CattleToday:

BFE

Reaction score
7FEF0421-DA64-427C-9FB3-E53801439851.jpeg
Nothing apparently wrong yesterday. Didn't come up this morning and got agitated when I found her. Called the vet to discuss and rechecked her late morning. Was stone cold dead by three.

This one of the new registered cows?
Not the newest ones. This was a reg angus I bought last year. She rejected her calf a month ago so she was on the cull list. Should've hauled her last week apparently.

Oh no… so sorry. Do you plan on doing any sort of necropsy? Or can your vet perform one?
He's almost certain it's anaplasmosis. Going to get mineral with ctc tomorrow morning and hope she's an isolated case.

I've dodged the bullet for years. Neighbor lost 4-5 last year so nothing but the high dollar mineral for us through summer.

Not the newest ones. This was a reg angus I bought last year. She rejected her calf a month ago so she was on the cull list. Should've hauled her last week apparently.

He's almost certain it's anaplasmosis. Going to get mineral with ctc tomorrow morning and hope she's an isolated case.

I've dodged the bullet for years. Neighbor lost 4-5 last year so nothing but the high dollar mineral for us through summer.
A blood disease spread by ticks. Does better minerals prevent it?

Wow super sorry to hear that you're dealing with a case of it. Bummer. Hope it's an isolated case like you stated.

The jaundice ear is definitely a clue. Their eyes will also get a little jaundice and if you check their gums & vulva, they'll be white instead of a healthy pink. Another interesting clue is an unsteady gait. Had a cow a few years ago that appeared to be limping but couldn't find anything wrong with any of her feet/legs/hips and couldn't even pinpoint exactly which leg. Took a video and showed it to my vet when I took her in and he said anaplas is neurological and can affect how they walk. That particular cow made a full recovery from her clinical symptoms, treated with LA300, but was always seropositive (sold her 2 years later).

I start putting out mineral with CTC a good month prior to heavy tick season. The CTC won't eliminate anaplasmosis, but that, along with diligent fly control is your best defense. The effectiveness of the CTC is contingent on how much the cattle consume.

View attachment 16603
Nothing apparently wrong yesterday. Didn't come up this morning and got agitated when I found her. Called the vet to discuss and rechecked her late morning. Was stone cold dead by three.
BFE, I am also in SE Illinois, far NW Crawford County. Where are you compared to me. I obviously don't want what you have. Thanks

We had Anaplaz. The vet knew we had it. He signed a health release when we moved from WY to SW Montana. We were pretty dumb back then. We lost cows the first week we got there. Finally the vet came out and he had never seen it before. We told him what we thought it was, he went home and did his homework. Called back and said, yes, it is anaplasmosis and we will have to quarantine your herd! He then did more research and found that the tick vector wasn't in that area and that if we got the cattle in and sprayed them we should be fine. So that's what we did. Why the WY vet didn't have us do that before we hauled them 500+ miles, we will never know. After we sprayed them, we never had it again.

Anaplasmosis where we were in WY was common. Back then there wasn't mineral to help prevent it. So count yourselves lucky that there is something available now. The place we bought in SW MT had no corrals, so Mr. FH had to rope those affected cows to give them a shot of LA-200. Good thing he had a great horse that he could tie off to that would hold them when he got off to doctor them. Anaplaz makes them be on the fight, too, for some reason. It was not a fun time. Glad we never experienced that again.

Latest posts