A.I. Tech Fee

Help Support CattleToday:

Sioux_88

Reaction score
Looking to gather some information on the rates experienced and expected for the Tech Fee per head through the chute?

Thanks in advance.

MRRherefords

Reaction score
Sioux_88":tet3hzab said:
Looking to gather some information on the rates experienced and expected for the Tech Fee per head through the chute?

Thanks in advance.
Last year we used Genex and were charged $15 a head. This year we will be using Select Sires and this tech charges $12 a head.

bse

Reaction score
Alot depends on number of head going through. Here in TN you would be out of business quick with those prices. 20 head or more + selling semen around 6 bucks.

Black and Good

Reaction score
My guy charges $35 to show up and breed one this does not include the semen or anything else. Then $7 for every one after the first one. He is a private A.I. Tech. B&G

bse

Reaction score
Nobody is saying number of head, that makes a big difference! At 6 bucks a head and only making 5 dollars on semen thats $11 per head x 100 is $1100 for 3 hrs work pretty good hobby! Just 2 days a week like that I could make it.

Son of Butch

Reaction score
I assume Sioux (a new poster Hello :welcome: ) is seeking info on what she can charge her neighbor.
Otherwise would have given more info, number of head to do at one time ect or prices already quoted to her locally.

Fire Sweep Ranch

Reaction score
We had one cow none of us could stick, so I hired an independent who breeds a bunch for Genex. I provided EVERYTHING, glove, semen, rod... she charged me $75! ONE cow. She was there for less than 20 minutes, we had the cow in the chute and ready for her. I was shocked, I should have asked first. And the result? The cow did not stick.
Now I know why we breed our own....

Lucky_P

Reaction score
I meant to specify, the $10/hd I was paying in 1989 was for insemination only. I had purchased the semen, and the tech had it stored in her tank.
A couple of years back, during a conversation with a local Angus breeder, he told me that when they were doing big synch and breeding setups, that they brought my old friend in to inseminate... probably a 100 mile drive, but if she's breeding a bunch of cows in one day, it's probably worth it - for both parties.

Dave

Reaction score
The last 4 years I have paid $10 per head for the breeding only. I paid for the semen and any other cost. 60 head timed AI. The guy from Select Sires was prepping the straws. A local dairy tech did the actual insemination. They split the $600. The Select Sires took $200 and the tech took $400. Not bad for a little over 2 hours work.

kilroy60

Reaction score
My neighbor took AI training years ago and does all of his himself. Has offered his service to me when I am ready to start AI'ing my cattle. All I have to do is buy the semen.

TennesseeTuxedo

Active Patriot
Reaction score
Fire Sweep Ranch":3o5qk01e said:
We had one cow none of us could stick, so I hired an independent who breeds a bunch for Genex. I provided EVERYTHING, glove, semen, rod... she charged me $75! ONE cow. She was there for less than 20 minutes, we had the cow in the chute and ready for her. I was shocked, I should have asked first. And the result? The cow did not stick.
Now I know why we breed our own....

I pay $75 or more to get any kind of professional to drive out to our place. Travel time isn't cheap.

Dave

Reaction score
Son in law was quoted $400 each to breed his two milk cows. He lives in a ranch community and it is about an hour from the Yakima Valley where there is a concentration of mega dairies. I understand travel time but that is more than enough. He figures for $800 he can afford to keep a bull to breed his two cows.

dt34715

Reaction score
I watch for standing heat, so I only do 1 or 2 at a time. My A.I. Tech charges $55 for the trip plus the semen plus $10 per head.

Craig

Reaction score
Just for arm service I charge $25 to show up within a 25 mile radius of my place. Extra cows are $10 and up depending upon...if they are flighty, adequate facilities, help around, cows sorted out, etc. I make it very clear to my customers that it's not worth my taking a risk of injury for twenty five bucks. If it's a sync program and I do the shots and CIDRs, 25/head through the chute for the program. They heat detect. Never going to get rich, but it pays some of the bills.

Latest posts