A.I Equipment

Help Support CattleToday:

rockcreekfarm

Reaction score
I am starting to try AI some of my own beef cows, I took the class the first of december. I was wandering what type of gun to get, the select sires man told me to stick with a regular 1/2 o-ring rod but the lady that is letting me practice on her cows told me to buy a 2-in-1 spiral gun that takes both 1/4 and 1/2 straws. In the future in might be using some sexed seamen and will need the 1/4 but right now I will just be using 1/2 regular straws. Which gun do you guys suggest buying? I'm looking at ordering some supplies from Nasco so that were I will probably be buying from.

Haven't used the split o-ring type, have been using the combo spirals since my class. It works fine and i've never had a reason to switch. Whatever you get, get 2 of them. I have 4. The 1/4's work fine in the combos as well as the 1/2's.

Sizmic

go with the spirals, don't have to spend time trying to find the stupid o-rings when they come off, I get all my ai supplies from our genex rep, a bonus for him, we don't buy near as much semen anymore so supply sales helps him out.

IMV brand is the best by far if you expect to be doing it for very long. I buy the O-ring style and throw the stupid rings away. That way I can breed thirty head at a time and only carry one gun. With IMV's I can usually breed about ten to fifteen thousand head before it wears out... most of the competition won't last a week. IMV makes both half and quarters as well as a combination gun but it's best to use a gun fit for that particular straw because the combo guns tend to let a quarter straw jam up in between the plunger and the inside of the gun and it's a wasted straw at that point.

The guns arn't that expense. I use spiral guns one 1/4 & one 1/2. They do fit better then the combo guns.
'