A ? for all you breeders

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman

Reaction score
the Great State of Mental Distress ( Florida)
I am buying 20 heifers that are bred to calve this fall they are hfrs that I raised and sold after weaning to a man and he pull these 20 out as the top hfrs to keep for replacements
I was just gonna play around with this bunch a little and was wondering what kind of bull you guys would use on them and your REASON why

They are black Angus and are out of Future direction and Midland bulls
Hereford
Limi
Gelbvieh
Angus
other

and yes Knersie I said HEREFORD :lol:

and yes Knersie I said HEREFORD

Why ask the question if you already know the answer? ;-)

I know of a really top Saler bull that might interest you :lol:

Angus Cowman":3e7ds3xe said:
I am buying 20 heifers that are bred to calve this fall they are hfrs that I raised and sold after weaning to a man and he pull these 20 out as the top hfrs to keep for replacements
I was just gonna play around with this bunch a little and was wondering what kind of bull you guys would use on them and your REASON why

They are black Angus and are out of Future direction and Midland bulls
Hereford
Limi
Gelbvieh
Angus
other

and yes Knersie I said HEREFORD :lol:

I'd breed them to a good, unrelated, Angus bull and put an AngusSource tag in their ear. When the phone repairman came early this week, he was a young man who had bought a bull from us several years ago. He was telling me about selling his AngusSource calves. They showed up on the Angus site and the sale barn advertised them. He was very pleased with the check. He did wish that he had some non-sourced calves to sell and compare, but is planning to tag the calves born this year, too.

BTW, Angus is not the only breed to have tags that identify them as being sired by a particular breed bull. So whatever breed you choose, consider checking into their program.

Herefords

CHB-CAB they will fall under either. More marketing option more money. Put them on a good vac program you've got it made. A lot of good hereford bulls that will work really well on those cows. The baldie wont be docked at the ring either.

I'm sure you could find a decent market for purebred Angus, but I don't like purebred cattle. If you cross up those Angus to a different breed you will enjoy some hybrid vigor. I'm a huge fan of Gelbvieh personally. They tend to be very fertile with decent milk and excellent growth traits. There are plenty of homo black Gelb bulls out there that would throw nice black calves. Around here there has also been a push for crossing Angus to Simmental.

Frankie and TB
I direct market all my calves and they are all on a vac program
these are just the top 5% of my heifers that I sold last yr as feeders and I was wanting to play with a little
cross breeding
I was wanting your opinions on what other crosses and I knew Knersie would say Herefords :roll: imagine that :lol:

As far as Angus bulls go I have
2 Midland
3 Future direction and 2 Predestined bulls
Thanks for the input

Angus Cowman":d8snrrzo said:
Frankie and TB
these are just the top 5% of my heifers that I sold last yr as feeders and I was wanting to play with a little
cross breeding
I was wanting your opinions on what other crosses and I knew Knersie would say Herefords :roll: imagine that :lol:

2 Midland
Thanks for the input

Remember that Future Direction is an AM carrier. Don't breed him back to a female that might be carrying that defect.

I was wanting your opinions on what other crosses and I knew Knersie would say Herefords imagine that

Actually I would very seldom reply to a "what to breed to" post unless someone asked for my opinion specifically.

I am not opposed to crossbreeding if it is planned and the cross will yield some consistancy, like in this instance. You could realistically breed the heifers to any breed bull that hasn't been turned black with angus influence to get the biggest bang for your buck in terms of heterosis.

For those of us that breed and use our own bulls crossbreeding comes with a hidden cost that we should never forget to figure in the final cost of production before we go around and say crossbreeding will automatically put more money in your pocket.

In your situation I'd be more inclined to test a few new (young) angus AI sires that excites you that you might not otherwise have the opportunity to use in your registered breeding program.

Angus Cowman":2lp65ed7 said:
Frankie and TB
cross breeding

2 Midland
Thanks for the input

I would consider hereford bulls if I were you. You might be suprised at the outcome if you use a good bull. Should add some WW to the calves and be very marketable.

Gelbvieh, add muscle and maternal with some serious heterosis thrown in free.

Simmental adds weighing weight and the heifers should make great mama's as most Simmental's add milk also. Decide if you want big weighing weights or good heifers and choose a bull to match. Some of the highest selling bulls at the test stations in VA are now Simangus.

Simmental is a good suggestion. I see some nice mickey mouse animals but I've also seen some bad ones. I was originally going to mention Charolais but if you have average frame cows you will have to be careful with Charolais BW. Big calves. But like if you cross an MG with a Charolais, you will get some nice nice nice calves.

Out of the mentioned breeds I say limi, gelb, hereford in that order if it was terminal. Or gelb, hereford limi for replacement.
However the best terminal option, and a decent maternal too, would be to breed to piedmontese IMO that is. It crosses well on most breeds, provides muscle and milk, and some marbling will stay on from the angus, as well as the progeny being black and polled.
And I would avoid charolais because of more difficult calving, and lack of maternal capability.

On the fall calvers I bought, I'm gonna' use a composite bull, 1/2 angus, 1/4 simmi,1/4 south devon. I'm not keeping and replacements out of thess cows, just selling pounds of calf. gs

Latest posts