A cow calving twice, in 20 days ????

Help Support CattleToday:

Twenty days is uncommon. Most often it is nine-eleven days or twenty-nine to thirty days. The cow cycles mainly on one side but the other side is also going through the motions and is suposed to build a CL to support the pregnancy from the other horn but sometimes if the signals are strong enough that they are able to maintain pregnancy on both horns. the day nine or thirty is the top of the follicular wave from the ovary without the CL.

about 20 years ago I checked cows that had freshened 2-3 months earlier & there was a new little calf running around bawling. there were no other cows near, asked my vet about it & he said it was common for some Hereford cows to drop a second calf that much later. never seen or heard of it again til now

I have heard of a cow who calved while in quarantine in Australia, then she had another heifer calf while in quarantine in New Zealand. I don't know how many days they were born apart though.

Delayed Interval Births are a medical oddity more common in animals, BUT has been documented in people too!

One surprise was a woman giving birth to 2 babies 4 days apart.
More common is premature 1st birth with doctor intervention to delay labor to allow 2nd baby to develop a few more weeks.
Fraternal twins result from 2 separate conceptions, usually hyperovulation, the multiple release of eggs in a single cycle.
SUPERFETATION
In 2009 a woman in Arkansas became pregnant with two babies due to superfetation.
Ultrasound revealed she was pregnant with two babies conceived about 2 1/2 weeks apart.
Heteropaternal Superfetation = Fraternal twins by two different fathers.
An extreme example was reported in Europe several years ago when the fathers were of 2 different races.

Sorry about hijacking thread, but since it's a few days old and since I'm on a roll, might as well mention 1st case?
Cain and Able.
Careful reading of ancient manuscripts by bible scholars suggests Cain and Able were fraternal twins.
I believe it was Heteropaternal Superfetation.
IF any want to comment or discuss it, P.M. me. as I didn't intend to get so far off topic.

Got this response, from another cattle board. No, I don't understand it:

It's called superfetation. I chart fertility for women (human) and this occurs way more than ppl realize. The hormones get out of wack and when she conceives her body drops the level of progesterone low enough to fool the body into thinking it is not pregnant so she ovulates again and can concieve again. The further apart in gestational age they are the harder it is to have a live baby let alone 2!

Could those cows have 2 or a double uterus? I figure with so many cows in the world birth defects liketthat would be possible ?

I can't remember who asked, but visited the neighbor and 2nd calf today. She's a cutie, but since the elder is a brother . . . . Someone asked about the birth weights. He weighed them; first calf was 68 lbs., 20 days later heifer was 74. Just FYI.

Latest posts