A couple pics of my new to me Komatsu D-65

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
My boss was trading this beast in and gave me a heck of a deal.
october_2011_145.JPG

She is definetly a both hands and both feet to operate machine but man will she push. 11'6" blade and you can fill her up!
october_2011_163.JPG

october_2011_167.JPG

I will give this advise. When running this machine after dark and a couple beers. You may be gouging a little deeper than necessary.

Its actually a little bigger than a D-6. Closer to a D-8 straight track. It ways almost 50,000 with the winch which is a monster but I currently have the winch off. Long story. I have read they are a little bit more stable on slopes because they have a lower center of gravity. I've had her on some pretty severe side slopes and felt pretty comfortable.

ohiosteve":1lhrr7m6 said:
What is a stinger blade jed? haven't heard of that one yet
It's what all the land down here was cleared with. It's shaped like a A with the bottom edges serrated for cutting the tree under ground. 2 D8's with those and a 7 with a rake could take out some ground in a hurry. In the 60's an 70's millions of acres of bottom land were cleared with them.

Sounds pretty wicked! I probably wouldn't have much woods left if I had one of those. thats my problem when I get a toy I have to find somewhere to play with it. I just got that 65 last week and filled about a 3/4 acre pond I had in my front yard already. I've been wating to do that for the past 10 years ever since I bought my place. Took about 250 gallons of diesel but I sure had fun!

tsmaxx47":3rh8fnln said:
jed; is that the same as what they call a root plow in texas?
Not sure, I would have thought a root plow would be a rake blade but it could be the one I'm talking about. Stinger's are also called KG blades but I have no idea why. A good crew could turn a Oak hardwood Forrest into a bean field in short order and if they were really good you wouldn't have many chunks to pick up. A bad crew and it would be mountains of chunks.

jedstivers":176xnbm8 said:
tsmaxx47":176xnbm8 said:
Not sure, I would have thought a root plow would be a rake blade but it could be the one I'm talking about. Stinger's are also called KG blades but I have no idea why. A good crew could turn a Oak hardwood Forrest into a bean field in short order and if they were really good you wouldn't have many chunks to pick up. A bad crew and it would be mountains of chunks.

Oak? Every state identifies something different as "Oak". Oak is way pricey, and I could never see how you "come out" clearing oak to raise beans. But my neighbors who did clear the oak for beans are doing well.

john250":1ut7y7nf said:
jedstivers":1ut7y7nf said:
tsmaxx47":1ut7y7nf said:

Oak? Every state identifies something different as "Oak". Oak is way pricey, and I could never see how you "come out" clearing oak to raise beans. But my neighbors who did clear the oak for beans are doing well.
In those days it was worth almost nothing, it cost more to clear if it was logged first too. It was really nice timber an duck hunting land too. Alot of that land is now being put back in trees.
One of my first big jobs that I had to do was when I was 9 years old slinging beans with a fertilizer buggy then rolling behind the disk that was covering them with a 4020. Did 140 acres that summer which isn't even a day now but then it was a lot.

tsmaxx47":1ymxygsy said:
In Texas they call that a shear ..with a shear you can hit the stump in the center and split it the blade will roll half out on either side of the dozer..that's a good lookin machine you got there ....

quote]
In those days it was worth almost nothing, it cost more to clear if it was logged first too. It was really nice timber an duck hunting land too. Alot of that land is now being put back in trees.
One of my first big jobs that I had to do was when I was 9 years old slinging beans with a fertilizer buggy then rolling behind the disk that was covering them with a 4020. Did 140 acres that summer which isn't even a day now but then it was a lot.[/quote]

I raise beans and instead of having it logged I use my dozer pushed trees over and cut it into logs then either keep them or sell them to a buyer... if you cut with a feller buncher it sucks so bad trying to get the stumps up to make a bean field.

ohiosteve":9ir3bggc said:
Sounds pretty wicked! I probably wouldn't have much woods left if I had one of those. thats my problem when I get a toy I have to find somewhere to play with it. I just got that 65 last week and filled about a 3/4 acre pond I had in my front yard already. I've been wating to do that for the past 10 years ever since I bought my place. Took about 250 gallons of diesel but I sure had fun!
Must have a been a deep pond.....? What will you do with that dozer now?

The pond wasn't overly deep but I had a pretty far push. Also I let a couple of my buddies try her out and they were certainly not efficient pushers, therefore wasting fuel. At least they had fun. I just ran about a half mile of fence through my woods and my next plan is to clear a nice path along that fence so I can drive right along the fence to check cows this winter. After that my neighbor who went halves on the dozer with me said he had a few projects for her. He plans on pulling his tile plow with it but I'm not so sure how that will work. seems to me the dozer wont go slow enough. I'm sure someone out there pulls their plow with a similar machine right?

Latest posts