A couple of new babies

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":8etmzd73 said:
TNMasterBeefProducer":8etmzd73 said:
I do not know anyone around here that would be interested in even purchasing those calves for breeding stock due to their birthweights. About the only thing you could sell them for around here would be to put in someone's freezer.
Any ways... :roll:

Keep doing what you are doing... Joy. Not that you need to be told,,, but if you aren't enjoying cattle then you might as well not be doing it. Good looking animals... :D
Thank You, Brute one thing I do is enjoy my cattle. I put in long days and sometimes nights. I enjoy every minute of it. Well,now there are some days....but you will never hear me say I quit.

Joy,

I do like the idea of heifers calving by the time they're 2 years old. However, along with you, I'm going to do what works best for me and my situation. I purchased Fall born heifers that I'd really like to calve in the Spring. I went ahead and bred them to calve in the Fall, but I did have serious thoughts of holding the bull off of them. I wouldn't have felt bad at all if I had done that. Now, they'll be needing supplement in the Fall when everything else is dry. The only good thing is that I can possibly wean their calves a bit early and be able to AI some proven cows as opposed to heifers who likely won't milk to their full potential (being their first time lactating).

I don't think those weights are abnormal for the size of the cow. I think the cows are, now, abnormal with regard to the size of the breed. Also, I was simply referencing that a 1,700 lb cow might have a 75 lb calf just like a 1,200 lb cow might have a 105 lb calf.

You couldn't be more right about colors. I had a red bald face cow have a calf the other day...I guess I'll have to call it a paint. It's got white all over it's front and rear legs, solid on top though. You decide.

DSCN14060001.jpg

Joy, I'm glad that you enjoy your cattle. That's probably as important as anything else. Everyone doesn't own cattle to seek a profit (not saying this about you). As long as no one is putting the public health at risk with their practices concerning beef cattle, I believe people should be happy with what they raise.

TN, as previously stated, those weights and birth weights are not the norm within the Beefmaster breed. In speaking with friends who have been a part of the breed since the 60s, I'd say the breed has made tremendous strides in improving the product which is offered and produced for the commercial cattleman.

EC

Edit: Forgot to mention...the calf is out of a black bull (foundation bred, not bred up). That black bull was out of a dun bull and a brown cow.

East Caney, You have a pretty little bull calf there. I looked a bull up, I had bought a couple of years ago. He had a lot more white on him than yours does. On his papers it says he was red /white star forehead and white underline. I wouldn't consider yours a paint. I would think if it had 50% or more white. One would believe it to be a paint. Maybe someone with more knowledge on colors ,could answer that.
Yes, I would agree on the size of these cows. But I bought them that way. The lady that raised them fed them really well. All of her beefmasters were huge. She was in the business to sell bulls.She did that very well for 15 years. I bought most of her older cows ,several heifers and 1 bull.
Thanks I do enjoy the cows. There are times when we have to do things we don't like too. But it's all part of it. Just like today, I had to take the little black and white calf away from it's mom. She is the one with the udder problem. I noticed yesterday,the baby wasn't as active. Then today, she was alot slower and not acting right. We caught her and brought her home. She's dehydrated and has the scours. Got her all fixed up and she resting. I have a nurse cow ready for her. The mom will be sold. I knew better,but I wanted to give that cow one more chance.

joy we all give cows we like chances.an you got a heifer calf out of here before you culled her.ive got a cow like that now.she is a big pretty paint.an her calf just hasnt grown off like it should.but i like the cow.an as long as she weans a calf she will get to stay.

I'ld take some pictures of our calves but you can't tell much with their yellow rain slickers on.

dun":1rw9l492 said:
I'ld take some pictures of our calves but you can't tell much with their yellow rain slickers on.

Our calves born this week have web feet. If it keeps raining they will need gills ... :shock: :D :D :D

I noticed some of my cows seem to growing web feet, and could have sworn i saw a few feathers. Joy i raise what i like just because i like them. Glad to see you are doing the same if you don't like what you see in your pasture it just is not as much fun.

Joy,

I don't know that we can't all look out in the pasture and see something that didn't work exactly like we had hoped...your example was the 2 titted cow Big Bull spoke of.

The cow I posted a picture of probably has more frame than I really need. Her udder isn't ideal either...teats are just a bit larger than I'm completely comfortable with. The little heifer on her, however, will probably get a chance if she grows off right. Her sire was out of a 9 yr old cow (now) that's still producing with an excellent udder. I can't guarantee that the cow will be around much longer though. She might be raising her replacement.

Dun,

Do you think you might be able to bring me a few of those yellow rain slickers? I normally only have to wear my waders when I'm reading the boards :lol: . But here lately, I've been up to my ankles in water when walking through the pasture. The "trusty" weatherman says it's not going to rain for the next 7 days though.

EC

East Caney":d98913ft said:
The "trusty" weatherman says it's not going to rain for the next 7 days though.

EC

The liars are saying the same thing here. One made a big deal out of not having our normal Monday and Thursday storms. Monday is a long ways away for their guessing abilitys though.

Beefy":1oio46k5 said:
why not just treat her for the scours and let her momma raise her?
Ok Beefy, I had the same thought. Went out and checked the cow. Almost took her calf back to her,then I remember what shape her last year calf was in. This calf is alot bigger than last years calf. I don't want her under nourished. I feel as though that was the problem last year.
It's a hard call sometimes. I do know the calf was not getting enough milk.So,I'm sticking to my guns and say no.

Joy of Texas":y6du7g3i said:
Hey all of ya'll with too much you can send my way.

If you want to send some rain our way... we'll gladly share with y'all as well...

...also known as, I really would appreciate not having to pack the irrigation pipes around!!!! It's just too early in the year to have to irrigate already.

Latest posts