A bit of an update

Help Support CattleToday:

wbvs58

Reaction score
We have been in a sever drought for the last 12 months, most people around here reckon the previous 12 months were sever drought as well. It was a tough winter but that is what you get sometimes. Water deficit had been building for a couple of years. Most people had run out of stock water as well as household water and were getting it trucked in and destocking as much as possible. Our local town Stanthorpe pop. 5400 has run dry its water storage and is having water trucked in. I have been very lucky whereby my small paddock dams have dried up but my big dam still had useable water for the stock and my 600 acre scrub block next door still had some spring fed surface water and I run the house from a bore.

January and February have been very good rain wise with falls while not massive have been at the right intervals. The response of the grass has been phenominal. From bare paddocks with absolutely nothing for the cows to eat to lush grass as good as I have ever seen it. Things did start a bit with storms earlier in summer but sever heat and a long time between drinks did not produce much. Not big runoff, my main dam is now about 2/3 full, enough for over 12 months. The town water storage has had very little and they are still trucking water in. My feed budget for winter is looking very healthy.

Here are the cows grazing some lucerne (alfalfa). No they didn't bloat. They have been in there for about 4 days now, a lot of other grass further down the paddock and they don't seem to be overfussed about the lucerne.

Here is looking across my daughters dressage arena you can get an idea of how green things are generally.

You may remember a few months ago I lost my Kelpie and great mate Jed, killed by a Dingo. I bought a new pup almost straight away, Ellie. Even though she seems full size now she is still pretty much a pup. Today I had a visitor looking for permission to shoot rabbits on my land. While we were talking Ellie had jumped in the window of his truck, found his wallet and started chewing it and had torn up his pouch of tobacco. Other than being a bit unruly she is coming along very well with the cattle, works with me and is understanding what we are doing like putting them through gates and generally herding them and will take note of the direction I send her. Also she just loves hanging out with me.

Lastly, I posted some photos of a barn I was building for my daughters stables a couple of months ago. Progress has been slow but steady however we are getting there. Just gotta hang the roller doors and fit the trim around them and run the storm water drainage and arrange the final inspection by the council then we start fitting out the stables. It's been a big job for a 68 yr old with only a bit of help from my wife but I am proud of the job I have done on it, possibly my building swansong.

Ken

Looking good. I was in Australia back in the early '90's. Thought it looked a lot like Ky. with the rolling hills and cattle.

Glad the drought is breaking... rain hasn't stopped for us just yet, but we haven't had mud since last winter. I'm bracing for a hot dry one this summer.

Good to get an update, I'm guessing the seed in the ground was so dry it just jumped at the chance to grow when it got some moisture. That shed looks great. I heard there was a lot of cattle deaths where people turned their cows out from dry feed straight to lush grass. Kind of like a final kick in the guts.

Well that must feel better, beats red dust ! We have had some too, but not as much as is prob heading for you....

The irony always is the drought areas get hit with flash floods, have to feel for those in drought, that then got hit by fire, to now flood.....

Banjo, I think that is a very generous comparison, thankyou. Yes things can look very good when the season is kind to us but Australia tends to be a country of extremes, "a country of drought and flooding rains".
Red, I have found two grasses that have survived the horrific conditions and responded to the rain very rapidly, they are kikuyu and premier digit grass, oh also African Lovegrass unfortunately. I think the lack of competition has benefited these grasses and has helped with their spread once we got rain. I was down my SW corner yesterday, this is a fairly arid paddock that I seeded with digit grass about 12 years ago on Xmas day. We had nothing but dry for about 2 months and very little germinated but there has been a splattering of it around which has thickened a bit but since this rain it is very prominent now and you would think it was a reasonably successfull planting. The paddock the other side of the arena I planted with digit, rhodes and kikuyu about mid December after a storm, unfortunately the seed was not availablefor about a week and the surface had dried out so zero germination with extreme heat, I thought I had "done my dough" but to my surprise it germinasted and I noticed it coming through late January and is now just coming to seed so should be good. I had cropped that paddock for a couple of years so no competition.

Ken

So glad for you folks there Ken. Looking like a big portion of your country is growing grass again. I hope it is your turn to keep some of the wet we have had for the last 9 months. We are pushing snow off parts of our calving areas now in hopes of some dry ground in a month. Fairly close to 90 cm on the flat.

Spring and warm weather is coming.....

Yes, big relief. I don't think I'll have to feed at all over winter, maybe supplement the heifer calves a bit late winter to ensure they are in the weight band I like to inseminate in spring. With the share market taking a dive I don't think my retirement fund will be able to support any feeding.
I am not going to hold back on using the grass over winter. My soil is very light and sandy and I find any grass that is not utilised will just fall over and mulch into the soil come spring. We are dependent on the summer storms starting up late October. I say you gotta use it or lose it
I am not going to keep many bull calves entire to sell as bulls anymore. I have 5 that I have steered and am holding over to go into a feedback trial. They enter the feedlot at the end of August weight specifications are 320-460kg and get processed the following March to tie in with the Sydney Easter Royal Show. It is for teams of 5 steers, points are for meeting the correct entry specifications, correct documentation, performance in the feedlot and then for the carcases. I know my bulls grow very well when on feed so this should be very interesting.

Ken

Keep us updated with your steer trial, sounds very interesting. The share market here is in free fall. I have a few NAB shares and they are down about 25%. Haven't seen drops like this since the gfc.