911 Comic Book

Help Support CattleToday:

aplusmnt

Reaction score
Just seem some things ought to be sacred. Someone is releasing a comic book about The attack on the World Trade Centers on 911.

http://www.usatoday.com/life/books/news ... book_x.htm

Wonder if someone made a comic book about Pearl Harbor?

911report-art.jpg

The love of money and the desire for noteriety can certainly bring out the worst in some folks. That is obscene.

Alice

I just read the article in entirety...I take back what I just posted. My bad for scanning...

Alice

Well, the proof will be in the pudding. Either this is a accurate shorthand version to help folks understand all the events so they'll not forget or it is a money grab that would make Sam Laden proud.

I've read where a lot of Japanese like to go to Pearl Harbor so they can see the spot to Japan's greatest victory in WWII, so I'm sure it won't be long before a lot of the visitors to the WTC site will be there for the same type of reason.

Cuz

I just think it's a darned shame we aren't putting back something that is 10' taller.
I had the opportunity to be on the observation decks of the WTC complex. I haven't forgotten that view.

warpaint":1o9a2umn said:
The way the article reads to me, is this is done in a way that describes the feelings people at Ground Zero had.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

Yea they are using the 911 reports to write it. It is not some superhero type subject line from what I see.

It is just that to me this is something we would not exploit in the form of a comic book.

In my opinion those people that died or fought for theirs and others lives at Ground Zero are due more respect.

911 was a serious thing and once you put it in form of a comic book, you lessen its severity.

aplusmnt":nmbp6y1g said:
warpaint":nmbp6y1g said:
The way the article reads to me, is this is done in a way that describes the feelings people at Ground Zero had.

Yea they are using the 911 reports to write it. It is not some superhero type subject line from what I see.

It is just that to me this is something we would not exploit in the form of a comic book.

In my opinion those people that died or fought for theirs and others lives at Ground Zero are due more respect.

911 was a serious thing and once you put it in form of a comic book, you lessen its severity.

From what I understand it was taken from the 9/11 Commission report. It looks like those comic books from years ago that were based on novels. I don't think any disrespect was intended but was done to get the facts to as many people as possible. Most are not going to read the commissions report but may read something that is easy and to the point(may be a sad commentary on our nation that a "comic" book is the way). I think anything that keeps the travesty in our nation's consciousness is good. Sometimes we forget too easily as time passes.

Chris

aplusmnt":28w1qs4a said:
warpaint":28w1qs4a said:

The way I interpreted it is that it is not meant to exploit, rather an attempt to try to explain why 9/11 happened.

I completely agree that 9/11 was a serious thing, but I disagree that putting it in comic book form lessens its severity. I don't think anyone could do anything with regard to representation of 9/11 that would lessen the severity of the happenings of that terrible day. The 9/11 Commission Report, along with most books that have been published, that have attempted to explain why this horrific event happened are much too complicated for a lot of people to understand because there are too many things going on in too many places. I know I've tried to read some of them and could not keep everything straight in my head, so I ended up confused and uncertain. But, by putting the explanation in the form of a comic book, it makes it a little easier to follow what lead up to that day. At least, that is my take on what these two people are trying to accomplish.

I would think, that all the movies, News shows, Books, Reports etc would be all a person needs.

And if a report was to complicated for me to understand, I sure in the heck would not want to trust another person to interpret the 600 page report then give me a 100 page comic with pictures to explain it to me. And even one of the creators says in that article after reading half of the 911 report he did not understand it, but now he is part of book helping us to understand it.

I fill sorry for a person that needs the Creator of "Richie Rich" to explain history to me through a comic, with words like Baaaam when the plane hits the trade center.

Maybe next they will make a cartoon, and the kids can watch little cartoon figures jump out of the World trade center and go splat like Wiley Coyote. Or maybe the Road runner can play a Suicide Bomber, and hand his bomb to Wiley the Coyote who is a little Jewish kid walking home from the Synagogue and he stands there all charred as the caption goes, Boooom "beeb beeb"

I seriously doubt that this comic book is intended for the adults. While you're condemning the attempt these two guys are making, have you given any thought to the number of children that were affected by the happenings of that day, also? Do you think they are capable of understanding the reports, books, etc? Do you honestly think they would watch any movies about the events of that day?

I saw a documentary on tv the other day - I don't remember what channel - that dealt with special camps, called 9/11 camps, that were (are?) being conducted for children who lost loved ones to try to help them deal and get their lives back on track. All of the counselors were licensed, by the way. One of the things the counselors said was that a lot of these kids are not able to talk to their parents about that day because their parents still haven't resolved it for themselves, and couldn't talk to the kids. Maybe the comic book will help them, maybe it won't - I don't know, but I think it's worth a shot. Given the subject matter - there may also be suggestions of where the kids could go for help - such as guidance counselors at school, pastors at church, grandparents to maybe intervene and get the kids in counseling, etc. Just my .02.

I don't think the words comic book apply here. What I see is a Paper back magazine with illustrated drawings aimed at children to help them cope with a situation they do not understand.

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":lquecmfh said:
I don't think the words comic book apply here. What I see is a Paper back magazine with illustrated drawings aimed at children to help them cope with a situation they do not understand.

I think you're exactly right - it's just easier (for me, at least) to type 'comic book'. :oops: :oops:

msscamp":3i81eaps said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":3i81eaps said:

I think you're exactly right - it's just easier (for me, at least) to type 'comic book'. :oops: :oops:

Don't :oops: over typing 'comic book.' That's how it was referred to in the first place.

I'm gonna :oops:, however, over my first response. It was dumb and stupid 'cause I didn't take the time to read the article completely...I merely scanned it and pingged on what I thought I would see...not what was really there.

Alice

Mahoney Pursley Ranch":mj61ndnh said:

You ought to write the review for this...the gentle way you depicted it is wonderful. Thank you.

Alice

Alice":2fm4jnsz said:
msscamp":2fm4jnsz said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2fm4jnsz said:

Don't :oops: over typing 'comic book.' That's how it was referred to in the first place.

I'm gonna :oops:, however, over my first response. It was dumb and stupid 'cause I didn't take the time to read the article completely...I merely scanned it and pingged on what I thought I would see...not what was really there.

Alice

Thanks, but I kind of knew it wasn't a typical comic book - hence the :oops:. Don't kick yourself too hard, it's a common thing to do - especially on certain nights when the stress level is higher than normal, or one is more tired than usual - which is what I'm suspecting happened in your case. ;-)

I usually agree with you, aplus, but not on this one. Sounds to me like these guys are trying to make some sense of events that most of us find incomprehensible, and in as neutral a way as possible.

msscamp":2wt0fbfd said:
Alice":2wt0fbfd said:
msscamp":2wt0fbfd said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":2wt0fbfd said:

Alice

Thanks, but I kind of knew it wasn't a typical comic book - hence the :oops:. Don't kick yourself too hard, it's a common thing to do - especially on certain nights when the stress level is higher than normal, or one is more tired than usual - which is what I'm suspecting happened in your case. ;-)

This is kind of you to say...thank you so much. I am quite tired...cutting me some slack is most appreciated.

Alice

Alice":1c38xy84 said:
msscamp":1c38xy84 said:
Alice":1c38xy84 said:
msscamp":1c38xy84 said:
Mahoney Pursley Ranch":1c38xy84 said:

Alice

This is kind of you to say...thank you so much. I am quite tired...cutting me some slack is most appreciated.

Alice

You're welcome. :) I just don't think you are one that regularly jumps to conclusions.

Latest posts