86' 6.9 Wont Start

Help Support CattleToday:

Crowderfarms

Reaction score
Bought a pretty clean 1986 F-350 4x4 the other day,for another Farm truck, ran fine on the way back home, but tried to start it the next day and failed. It's got a 6.9 Diesel. Glow plugs are cycling fine, fuel is at filter... this one has me stumped. Any suggestions?

Those were bad to get air in them . My dad has a 86 with a 6.9 . We finally pluged that line that comes off the filter and goes to the tank . That was the end of the starting problems .

Larry

Caustic Burno":8bt2avs0 said:
I don't know about the 86 does that early model have a cam sensor that has given me fits before.
No, those did not have a cam sensor . The powerstrokes have cam sensors . Ford has a recall on those cam sensors . Figures after I've bought about 4 .

Larry

Crowderfarms":1nhhci20 said:
Bought a pretty clean 1986 F-350 4x4 the other day,for another Farm truck, ran fine on the way back home, but tried to start it the next day and failed. It's got a 6.9 Diesel. Glow plugs are cycling fine, fuel is at filter... this one has me stumped. Any suggestions?

That's about my favorite year, neat old body with a solid front axle.

Lift pumps are famous for going out, leave it setting overnight after running with the front end facing extremely downhill. If it's a lift pump it will start better than if left uphill. There's a schrader valve on the side of the filter that helps to bleed air out, see if there's fuel pressure there while someone cranks it. There is a plastic return bucket on top of each injector below the lines, each has 2 o-rings in it that go bad quite often. The line from the filter to the back of the inj pump also has an o-ring on each end that will let air in. A lot of these are going bad now with the new ultralow sulfur fuel. My 86 is sucking air now.

Have you checked for voltage at the plugs themselves?

May want to consider water in the fuel also.

If all else fails, disconnect the glow plugs and give it a snort of either.

Call the previous owner, ask them if it's done it before.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

cfpinz

cfpinz":3kt32ric said:
Crowderfarms":3kt32ric said:

That's about my favorite year, neat old body with a solid front axle.

Lift pumps are famous for going out, leave it setting overnight after running with the front end facing extremely downhill. If it's a lift pump it will start better than if left uphill. There's a schrader valve on the side of the filter that helps to bleed air out, see if there's fuel pressure there while someone cranks it. There is a plastic return bucket on top of each injector below the lines, each has 2 o-rings in it that go bad quite often. The line from the filter to the back of the inj pump also has an o-ring on each end that will let air in. A lot of these are going bad now with the new ultralow sulfur fuel. My 86 is sucking air now.

Have you checked for voltage at the plugs themselves?

May want to consider water in the fuel also.

If all else fails, disconnect the glow plugs and give it a snort of either.

Call the previous owner, ask them if it's done it before.

Any questions, feel free to ask.

cfpinz

Thanks CF. I talked to my Cousin I bought the truck from and go figger, it'd never given him any trouble. Whatever it is, started after I drove 3 miles from his place to mine, parked it for the night, and tried to start it up to haul some fire wood in. I'll try what you suggested and let you know if I can get it to kick. I appreciate the advice. I bought an 86' brand new and can remember paying 15,400.00 out the door from the dealer. Was a 350 with the Dana 60 front end, and a 6.9.

Crowderfarms":1s1lvfyg said:
I bought an 86' brand new and can remember paying 15,400.00 out the door from the dealer. Was a 350 with the Dana 60 front end, and a 6.9.

$15,400. Wow. I've got an 86 dually that's set up like your old one that I'd let go for around $15k. But that's a special price just for you, good buddy. :wave:

cfpinz

cfpinz":1bdnd0o9 said:
Crowderfarms":1bdnd0o9 said:
I bought an 86' brand new and can remember paying 15,400.00 out the door from the dealer. Was a 350 with the Dana 60 front end, and a 6.9.

$15,400. Wow. I've got an 86 dually that's set up like your old one that I'd let go for around $15k. But that's a special price just for you, good buddy. :wave:

cfpinz
That includes "Dun Discount" dont it?

Crowderfarms":3owmoskb said:
That includes "Dun Discount" dont it?

Yeah, you dun been had.

My 86 is from MO/KS. Came from ebay. Wife and I took a greyhound out there and drove it back. 4.10s, no overdrive, no radio, no exhaust past the bellhousing and a bad injection pump. You haven't seen America until you've toured half of it at 50mph. Even spent a couple of days in Nashville on that trip.

cfpinz

Glowplugs can seem to be cycling, but plugs can still be bad. Clamp a test light to positive on your battery and probe for a good ground on the exposed tips individually where the harness wires connect to the plugs. Glowplug could be weak and still give you a ground, but if it's cooked all together it won't light up your tester. P.S. Be carefull removing the harness wires from the plugs. High miles can make the wiring harness ends weak and crumbly.

Latest posts