80 degrees in January???

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
The weatherman said we were going to be near 80 on Saturday.

I can see it now. All the fruit trees are going to start blooming and it is going to be another one of those years with store bought jelly!!

What is up with this weather?

yes we are on a wild weather ride.so maybe the fruit trees wont start putting out yet.beats freezing cold making every1 run out of hay faster.

You're right. These winter grasses have done well with the temps and moisture.

There are 11 jars of red plum jelly left over so it won't be a total loss :D

backhoeboogie":1otrnwbo said:
dun":1otrnwbo said:
70 here today

Any old time tricks to stop the fruit trees from budding out?
Yeah, cut them off at the ground. Not going to be much fruit this year anyway. as soon as the freeze hits again the buds will die and possibly the trees.

backhoeboogie":3n41hnqa said:

Only problem with these grasses are my cows don't like it. All that green everywhere and they demand hay.

slick4591":h66e8swa said:
backhoeboogie":h66e8swa said:

Only problem with these grasses are my cows don't like it. All that green everywhere and they demand hay.

I put the whole herd on the river pasture for 4 days. No hay or anything else. Brought them back across the road yesterday and they look like they have been on exlax. The pasture they are in now has winter grass, oats, wheat, and 3 round bales. That's all they are getting until Saturday. There is really no alternative short of selling them. I've only got about 45 round bales left.

boogie dont feel bad for haying your cows like that.we are giving our cows 3 5 by 6 bales a week when the weather is cold,plus some feed here an there.rest of the time they are out grazing.we figured our hay to last till mid feb or march if the weather holds out.

backhoeboogie":208kv4av said:
Any old time tricks to stop the fruit trees from budding out?
No. But you can run sprinklers under them during a freeze once they've aready budded out and create an inversion layer that will save alot of fruit. It doesn't have to be much, just get the ground good and wet and keep the water flowing all night.

slick4591":30bdch2m said:
backhoeboogie":30bdch2m said:

Not a lot to it except water. Cow can walk her self down trying to get full and still go to bed hungry if there's no hay around.

Well Ill be happy with the extra growth from the ryegrass . I've just started grazing mine this week.

Those weather liars have already backed off of their weekend predictions by 10 degrees. Is this a bad sign? If they are backing down 10 degrees we should expect a 20 degree rise? :D

We are at -38 right now and there are weather warnings that we will get to -50+ with the wind chill over night . Btw, when we get to these temps Fahrenheit and Celsius are the same .

On Saturday we we in the high 50's Fahrenheit . :cry2:

hillsdown":3ljuvb9e said:
We are at -38 right now and there are weather warnings that we will get to -50+ with the wind chill over night . Btw, when we get to these temps Fahrenheit and Celsius are the same .

miss HD i hope you have lots of hay out for the cows,so you dont have brave those artic temps.

hillsdown":w8yhwlka said:

This would be a good time to check the slackers around the beer keg on the deck.

Latest posts