8-star feed efficiency

Help Support CattleToday:

greenwillowhereford II

Reaction score
Ellis Farms is promoting SRM Manr Mastr 9802 as being the only documented 8-star animal to date for GeneStar feed efficiency in the U.S.; GPD -3.96 lb.

I wouldn't get just to enamored with all the DNA tests for feed efficiency yet. They still have a lot of work to do in getting it to be totally accurate. It may be an indicator, but the current RFI testing going on shows there are a lot of exceptions to the DNA test results of both ends of the range.

Brian

smnherf":3954t84p said:
I wouldn't get just to enamored with all the DNA tests for feed efficiency yet. They still have a lot of work to do in getting it to be totally accurate. It may be an indicator, but the current RFI testing going on shows there are a lot of exceptions to the DNA test results of both ends of the range.

Brian
Where did you see the results or any reports? I would like to read them.

Feedes Big Sky R9 has the 8 star feed effeciency rating, this is the only Red Angus bull I know of but I doubt it is alone in the breed.

I haven't seen any thing on paper as of yet. I had some bulls at the University of MO for testing and in visiting with some of the other people who are involved it was stated that some of the high star feed efficiency bulls have not been that consistant in the current RFI studies going on. Some of that data will probably be released, but some of the research is being done by private business and I am not sure they will release the data.

Brian

Haven't seen a lot of Herefords that have feed efficiency identified, but the DeShazer Elite Herd Bull Sale II had all the fulls identified. Two of them are 8 star and a couple of more are 7 star.

The 8 stars are

DCC 4002 Set 7108 ET (42779760)
DCC 4002 Superstar 7109 ET (42779761)

Both of them are Moler sons out of RW Sarah 724.