70 HP Tractor Disk Size

Help Support CattleToday:

Soggy Bottom

Reaction score
I have a New Holland 70 hp that weights 6500-7000lbs. It is front wheel assist tractor with 600lb of rear wheel weights. What is a comfortable size tandem disk harrow I can pull? It is black land I will be disking. I am wanting a disk with wheels and not a 3 point. Thanks

A lot depends on the disk. A heavy offset disk 6 foot will be too much, even a heavy tandem with large notched disks set aggressive a 10' maybe too much. A lighter finishing disk you could pull 12+ feet.

I have a JD 10 foot and in loose ground it's all my IH684 can do to pull it.. in sod or hard ground it pulls it like a breeze

Not written in stone but good rule of thumb is 10hp per foot of disc. A heavy 8' or decently built 10' would probably be my recommendation. With FWA you could probably handle 12' most of the time but I'd rather have one a little bit small and be able to run in the 6 mph range than have on too big and have to run at 4 mph.

I have a 10' I pull with a 60hp 2wd and I think it is perfect. In loose soil if pulling uphill it is all the tractor wants but with 70hp and front assist I think you would be fine. A 'transport' disc is what they call one with wheels.

A good well built disk with good blades. 8-10 foot nothing more. When you drop a good disk in worked ground you know it's back there. I perfer ih disk

Soggy Bottom said:
I have a New Holland 70 hp that weights 6500-7000lbs. It is front wheel assist tractor with 600lb of rear wheel weights. What is a comfortable size tandem disk harrow I can pull? It is black land I will be disking.
Seems answer has a wide range because of the wide range of disks available.

Your NH 70 hp fwa tractor will easily handle a JD DH1510 10 ft 6 in (45 hp minimum - 75 hp)
IF your 70 hp tractor only has 55 hp at draw bar you might need to lift up a bit, uphill in loose dirt.
however It takes
95 hp to handle a Brush Hog 3D98 8 foot 0 inch with 22" notched discs 7.5" front 9" rear spacing

When you locate a disk for sale, look up the manufacturer's recommended hp for that model number.

Son of Butch said:
Soggy Bottom said:
I have a New Holland 70 hp that weights 6500-7000lbs. It is front wheel assist tractor with 600lb of rear wheel weights. What is a comfortable size tandem disk harrow I can pull? It is black land I will be disking.
Seems answer has a wide range because of the wide range of disks available.

Your NH 70 hp fwa tractor will easily handle a JD DH1510 10 ft 6 in (45 hp minimum - 75 hp)
however It takes
95 hp to handle a Brush Hog 3D98 8 foot 0 inch with 22" notched discs 7.5" front 9" rear spacing

When you locate a disk for sale, look up the manufacturer's recommended hp for that model number.

That's bang on. I have an old Kello Built 10' with I think 28" discs and 11" spacing that a 70hp tractor wouldn't move. There is a lot more at play than just width.

I have a 18' case ih 496 7'' spacing. I pull it with a 150hp 1086 with duals. I would not want any less tractor.

littletom said:
A good well built disk with good blades. 8-10 foot nothing more.
When you drop a good disk in worked ground you know it's back there. I prefer ih disk
Ahhh, yours is an 18 footer. Now it makes sense, as it's been a long time since I've even seen a
case-ih less than 12 foot.

1086 IH pto 146 hp drawbar 120 hp
I'm thinking his 70 hp NH is probably drawbar 55 hp

Son of Butch said:
littletom said:
A good well built disk with good blades. 8-10 foot nothing more.
When you drop a good disk in worked ground you know it's back there. I prefer ih disk
Ahhh, yours is an 18 footer. Now it makes sense, as it's been a long time since I've even seen a
case-ih less than 12 foot.

I've got a 14' John Deere 210. And I've got a 12' international that the numbers are worn off. The Deere cuts way better hands down. The international blows it away when it comes to leveling. I usually make a pass with both.

i just bought a 14' to pull with my 65hp. I have a 8' and its like nothing is back there.. it seems way too small.

Latest posts