7 Way and Pinkeye Prevention in one shot?

Help Support CattleToday:

BlackBaldyMan

Reaction score
Hello folks, ran across an add that is supposed to vaccinate for 7 way clostridial vaccine and pink eye. It is called Alpha-7/MB-1 by Boehringer Ingelheim, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this? The problem that I see, I dont know if I am wrong or not but I think there are many different types of pinkeye bacteria I will call them I think, and this vaccine is for a specific "Moraxella Bovis".....

It would be great to start a discussion about this, are their region specific pinkeye "bacteria" or....

Any info would be great, if it would work man it would be an excellent product as we have a big problem with the Clostridia Black Leg and Pinkeye :cboy:

ALways do the stand alone pinkeye and then a booster three weeks later on the newbies, don't care to mix them, what we've been doing seems to be working alright.

Have been using this vaccine since early summer on the recommendation of a friend that has used it a couple of years. He thinks it is money well spent and I agree. Has not totally eliminated pinkeye but has reduced it significantly. Not so sure the few case we treated were not from foreign matter in the eye.

I always wonder if pink eye vaccines aren't just a waste of money......

Pink eye problems cycle in and out wether you use a vaccine or not. The fact that the herd got pinkeye one year just naturally sets them up to be resistant the next few years anyhow.
So is it really helping?
I have had loads that I gave vaccine to that broke with pinkeye horribly. And right down the road two loads that I didn't vaccinate and they did fine.

We've been doing the combo shot for a few years now with what I think are good results. We also have made significant progress in fly control, so I can not say if that is the reason for our lack of pink eye or not. Also the last 2 yrs have been very dry & that limits the fly populations - so you tell me why I haven't seen a case of pinkeye in 2 yrs. I will say that I have seen vacinated calves devleop pinkeye but seeminly at a lower rate than when they were not vacinated.

We ended up using the stand alone pinkeye shot rather than the combo. Mainly because the Alpha...whatever is a 7-way rather than an 8-way. We dealt with Boeringer and the rep said it is better when not combined together.

We actually used it too late in the season to get any good results, but the replacement heifers will have some immunity for it next year when we revaccinate.

Next year we will vaccinate everything in May so that we have a good immunity before July, which is when we have most of our pinkeye problems.

I know we were a little to late on it this year, but I have talked with several other guys that get pinkeye and they say this one works pretty good. Just shooting from the hip, I want to call it Ocu-Guard. And this one is a one time, then vaccinate annually. You don't need to booster 2 weeks later.

I have been real skeptical in the past, but I am interested to see if it works better when we actually give it at the right time. We usually get pinkeye in July and September, for some reason, around here and figured even if we were late for the summer burst, we could maybe get some control this fall. We'll see?!?

Vet told us to alternate pe vaccines each year. We haven't had a case for a while. As was said above. dirt in the eye and a bull with a seed head in it's eye.

I use and have had no cases of pinkeye in a while. I am not sure if it works or not but it makes me feel better and thats worth something.

Latest posts