7 day + CIDR question

Help Support CattleToday:

MRRherefords

Reaction score
We have been using an AI protocol that goes as follows: Day 1: CIDR and GNrH. Day 7 pull CIDR and shot of Lute. 60 hours later AI and GNrH. Every time though it has been for a mature cow. We are preparing to Ai heifers for the first time and I am wondering if I should wait the full 60 or ai between 56-58. Which would work better?

I use 7 day, but breed when needed up to 72hrs. I breed most heifers at 60hrs and 70% of mature cows at 72.

MRRherefords":1xfu06nf said:
We have been using an AI protocol that goes as follows: Day 1: CIDR and GNrH. Day 7 pull CIDR and shot of Lute. 60 hours later AI and GNrH. Every time though it has been for a mature cow. We are preparing to Ai heifers for the first time and I am wondering if I should wait the full 60 or ai between 56-58. Which would work better?

What did you decide? As per the other thread, we've wrestled with the same question. Because a tech does ours, and we don't have enough to justify separate syncs for heifers, we just do around 58hrs for all.

We are going to do between 54-56 hours for heifers and between 62-64 hours for mature cows. Our vet told us to Ai all right at 60, but our tech was telling us that they were not quite strong enough yet and that about 63 worked the best for mature cows. As for the heifers everything I have been told is saying 54+/- so I am going to do probably between 55-56 and see how that goes.

I have looked at the 5 day co sync for heifers. GnRH at time of Cidr, pull five days later with pg, 8 hours later another pg. and AI 72 hours after pulling the cidr with GnRH. Is this right? If so how have the results been for everyone compared to the 7 day co sync with Cidr.

Ive tried the 5 day a few times, do not like it. just me I know some swear by it

Jake":3g37t6gf said:
Our local vet suggest the 5 day co-sync for heifers instead of the 7 day. FWIW

My AI tech was explaining that Cidrs may be too potent for heifers so going to used Cidrs or 5 day protocal helps.

I use the 33 day protocal that has the Cidrs in 14 days. It allows them to cycle once then catches them on the next. It helps with heifers that may be cycling for the first time as the first heat isn't as fertile. It also avoids the issue with Cidrs being too hot for heifers.

On 7 day heifer protocol do you guys give a shot of ghrn when the cidr is put in? Any downfall to doing this?

What do you do if you have a cow that gets her CIDR pulled out by another one after 4 days into the 7 day program? She is having a clear discharge today.

Jason1040":2f667l6e said:
What do you do if you have a cow that gets her CIDR pulled out by another one after 4 days into the 7 day program? She is having a clear discharge today.
I would watch her and if she is in heat I would breed her. Otherwise, I would start over again. Make sure the tail of the CIDR is down. We even trim ours back a bit.

Latest posts