$600,000 Hereford bull

Help Support CattleToday:

dun":3vm6nvdr said:
The only way they'll get their dollars back is to insure him for more than that and hope he dies.

Just as Dun said early on," the only way they'll get their dollars back is to insure him for more than and help him die"! ........ Oh, ah, am it was hope he dies not help. Oops.

houstoncutter":zego1n2q said:
Your right CB, I tried to post your bull and the 600,000 dollar bull, but I couldnt figure how to do it. Your bull other than being a touch weak in the crest was perfect. The pretty paper boy looked more like a average Simmental steer...yea folks I said steer. Some of you fella"s wonder why your cows aint soggy and are poor breeders, that has a lot to do with it,, a herd bull is supposed to have a nuts, guts, and a big butt along with a big ol crest.Not the pretty boy, but one that the professors would say was a bit coarse.

This is the bull I AI'd from old school old line's.
Last I checked he was 20 a straw 100 a certificate I believe.

Not Pfred - that bull was born in 1992 - Summitcrest Hi Flyer 3B18.
Lovana's original name was something like Power Play 70. He was a half-sib to Scotch Cap.

Mercy me,CB another great looking bull. What is it that Im missing. I cant understand what they think this steer looking bull brings to the table. I wouldnt even put pretty boy on a group of Brahman to cross much less for seedstock!

houstoncutter":3aa5scuo said:
Mercy me,CB another great looking bull. What is it that Im missing. I cant understand what they think this steer looking bull brings to the table. I wouldnt even put pretty boy on a group of Brahman to cross much less for seedstock!

Magizine cattle is all I can think of. Remind's me of the car sales pitches good credit, bad or no credit come on down and drive a new car tonight.

HC we might be becoming dinosaurs alway's thought the idea was to raise something that mashes the scales and rang the bell.

Wow, first off I can't ever imagine any animal being worth anywhere near that. Like someone said, insure him and hope lightening strikes because you are going to need to sell a ton of semen and progeny out of him just to recover what you paid for him. His EPD's are nothing spectacular, he's just above breed average but you can find several performance proven AI sires that are going to add the growth and thickness that have the EPD's to go with it. Guess it is all in the eye of the beholder. I am breeding for replacement females and bull prospects so while a bull may pass the eye test I firmly believe that EPD's are a good predictor when making decisions in your breeding program.

Lucky_P":281nn8fl said:
Not Pfred - that bull was born in 1992 - Summitcrest Hi Flyer 3B18.
Lovana's original name was something like Power Play 70. He was a half-sib to Scotch Cap.
that sounds right, but for some reason i thought it was the opposite.. i like power play better Lovana sounds like my daughter named it....

miles_2_lg.jpg

His pictures were made when he wasn't yet a year old. I think he's got plenty of butt and guts for a bull that age. I didn't check his scrotal info that they provided before their sale.

A video of him, published on Jan 1 to youtube, so it was also made before he was a year old:

[youtube]48QaTvbT6zY[/youtube]

I think he's a nice calf - a little loose framed for me if I was being picky. He's got a young sire that's proving to be a good breeding bull and his dam has definitely produced some noteworthy progeny, both in the showring and as AI sires.

I understand the competing bid for him was legitimate - and had some noted Hereford breeders behind it.

All that said, I think paying $600,000 for him(3/4 interest) is "insane". I remember how long Dusty Rhodes said that it took to recoup the $100,000 that he spent for the 1/3 interest in this bull's paternal grandsire through semen sales - and Pure Gold was used pretty widely, with ~2000 progeny recorded. But mate him to Olivia, the $175,000 cow, and get enough "insane" folks vying for the progeny, and maybe the investment will prove to be a sound one. No doubt all the publicity generated from the sale and purchase has been significant.

Who knows?

Then, perhaps this full brother will ultimately prove to be a better breeding bull:

[youtube]IgLPnmdWiLA[/youtube]

I kinda like him as well.

George

Herefords.US":1xqbkclh said:
All that said, I think paying $600,000 for him(3/4 interest) is "insane". I remember how long Dusty Rhodes said that it took to recoup the $100,000 that he spent for the 1/3 interest in this bull's paternal grandsire through semen sales - and Pure Gold was used pretty widely, with ~2000 progeny recorded. But mate him to Olivia, the $175,000 cow, and get enough "insane" folks vying for the progeny, and maybe the investment will prove to be a sound one. No doubt all the publicity generated from the sale and purchase has been significant.

That should be maternal grandsire. My fingers didn't do what my mind was thinking.

Latest posts