6 month old calf,dull with green scours

Help Support CattleToday:

cbattaglia38

Reaction score
I have a 6 month old simmental calf whom I raised on a bottle. She was born in the winter and her mother was a 1st calf heifer, and she abandoned it, however it did nurse her for a couple of weeks. I noticed she has scours they are green and very runny. She does not have a temperature, and is drinking water. She is eating a little grain and grass but she does a lot of laying. She kind of seems to me when she is eating the grain that she is slow chewing it up. She does not mingle with the rest of the calves I have with her. Any suggestions on why she is sick or what I can give to treat her??????

The only thing that would really bother me is that she stays off to herself. The green, runny stuff could be from eating a lot of grass, that is, if you have a lot of green grass. We don't!

Have you given her any vitamins lately? Is she current on vaccinations? Dang, I hate to say this, but maybe she ought to go to the sale barn and let her become someone else's worry :( ...or someone else's treasure. :D

Alice

Alice thanks for your quick reply. She is not current on her vaccinations, and has not been given any vitamins. I am new to this and this is the first calf i raised. As far as vaccinations, Should I wait until she is better to vaccinate??? What vitamins could I give her??

I would get her away from the others if possible and would call the vet tomorrow and have him come look at her.

As far as vitamins go, give her AD&E and B complex.

I hate to lose any calf, but losing a 6 month old heifer that you raised on a bottle can be pretty unsettling.

Be sure you tell the vet that she stays off by herself...

Alice