6 days old

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of our preemie now. It sure doesn't take long for them to fill out!!

Newborn
107calfup.jpg

Today

Got an itch
107calf1.jpg

Trying out new things
107calf4.jpg

Moooommy
107calf3.jpg

I can go anywhere!!
107pair.jpg

Mmmm dinner
107baby1week.jpg

BlackBaldyMan":2rvc194c said:
Lol glad the little thing made it, think you can pick out the calf's number with that tiny little ear tag??? :lol:

I dunno, depends on how far away he is ;-) he's actually got a pair of tags, just to make sure that he doesn't get unbalanced. There is a RFID tag in the other ear. The orange tag is one of the smaller Y-tex tags.

Thank you so much for posting those, Randi...the little dickens! :heart:

Alice

now that is one cute little calf.love that big red eartag in her ear.will give her something to grow into.

rand...,
Looking back...was there anything unusual that happened to mom during the gestation period..that may have caused the early birth? Nutrition, management,stressful experience,illness,treatment,etc.

Once they get on-their-feet so to speak they really take off. That's how it was with the preemie which I had that lived.

Glad to see he's doing so well.

The one I had, weaned off within the same weights as his peers. You never would have known he had been a preemie.

BTW, he's very cute.

Katherine

preston39":1dsj1mhq said:
rand...,
Looking back...was there anything unusual that happened to mom during the gestation period..that may have caused the early birth? Nutrition, management,stressful experience,illness,treatment,etc.

Not that I can think of. She was penned with about 20 other heifers and a few cows, and nothing sticks out in my mind. I know she started acting off about a week before she went into labour (see my post "uncomfortable heifer"). The weather had taken a cold turn, after a mainly warm winter for us. But that shouldn't have caused a problem. Unless something happened while we were gone the first weekend of Feb. The nephew fed them then, and I know some cows were mixed up when we got back, but he didn't say anything.