6.0 or 5.7

Help Support CattleToday:

agcntry

Reaction score
Needing to update my feed truck and have been looking at late 90's and early 2000's Chevy/GMC 3/4 ton 4x4's. All of the trucks I'm looking at are fleet trucks with 90-120k miles on them. Which motor is better, the 350 or the newer 6.0
TIA

I work at chevrolet dealership have always owned chevy.we have trucks come in all the time with
300 plus thousand miles on the 350 eng. these eng have very little problems the 6.0 aint been out long enough for me to be a fan yet.

I've got one of each, and I would suggest you stick with the 350. The 6.0 has a lot of noise and cold clatter. Almost like a diesel. It may not hurt anything, but it sure doesn't inspire confidence.

Unfortunately that clatter is normal to all GM vehicles they trimmed the skirts off the pistons so the fit a little looser inthe cylinder. they quit rattling after warm up when the piston expands the eng will wear better that way. in the old days and especialy during the early 80s a eng was lucky to make it to 100k

ALACOWMAN":1jgsp1mp said:
I work at chevrolet dealership have always owned chevy.we have trucks come in all the time with
300 plus thousand miles on the 350 eng. these eng have very little problems the 6.0 aint been out long enough for me to be a fan yet.

I have one of those clattering 6.0L trucks. I thought only diesel engines went to 300K plus miles. Are folks doing something special to get this kind of durability with a gas engine?

Stocker Steve":1uhigzj8 said:
ALACOWMAN":1uhigzj8 said:

I have one of those clattering 6.0L trucks. I thought only diesel engines went to 300K plus miles. Are folks doing something special to get this kind of durability with a gas engine?

Yeah they rebuild them every 30K. :lol: :lol: :lol:

ALACOWMAN":22vnneuw said:
Unfortunately that clatter is normal to all GM vehicles they trimmed the skirts off the pistons so the fit a little looser inthe cylinder. they quit rattling after warm up when the piston expands the eng will wear better that way. in the old days and especialy during the early 80s a eng was lucky to make it to 100k

ALACOWMAN":22vnneuw said:
It never fails to give me good laugh to here comments from novices. yall please keep um coming 8)

Well ALACOWMAN we wouldn't want to mislead the "novices" here now would we? Trimming the skirt of a piston will NOT cause a piston to fit "looser" in the cylinder. The skirt is used to scrape oil off of the cylinder wall to keep the rings from hydroplaning on the oil on the cylinder wall. There are full skirts and the open slippers used in today's engines. The chatter you hear in GM engines is the fact they tried to use to short a skirt which allows the rings to get "cocked" in the cylinder. This allows the rings to drift away from the cylinder wall on one side thereby causing "piston slap" which is a common condition a poorly designed engine. To overcome this the second ring is designed stronger to resist this "cocked" position. Some times they get it right and some times they don't. There are other ways of trying to prevent this but I forget engine building 101 class. ;-)

Well you got to be a ford man. the skirt was used to keep a piston square in the cylinder all right but not to scrape oil thats why they put oil rings scrapers on. like i said they trimed the skirts off to reduce wear, ok when then eng heats up the piston exspand along with the oil on the cylinders the clatter goes away. and removing the skirt will cause the piston to fit looser. if it didnt than this conversation would not have started drive that ford man if you like im a hog about em ;-) ;-)

ALACOWMAN":36ud0l5l said:
Well you got to be a ford man the skirt was used to keep a piston square in the cylinder all right but not to scrape oil thats why they put oil rings scrapers on. like i said they trimed the skirts off to reduce wear, ok when then eng heats up the piston exspand along with the oil on the cylinders the clatter goes away but hey i didnt design it i just drive them . hey if you want to be right ill back up and let you shine cause life to short to worry wit it

Nope don't want to argue about pistons for sure. Actually if I never have to install another one it will be ok by me. ;-)

cowboy13":1eqgfp1p said:
6.0 is a piece of junk. We traded ours for a cummins

They are NOT talking about the 6 liter diesel they are talking about gas motors.

You must have had a 03 6 liter huh?

I think ALACOWMAN is right about the piston skirt.I worked in a chevy dealership for 15 yrs and thats what Techassistance told us. The old reliable 5.7 is the only way to go.JHH

I have an 04 2500 Hd with the 6.0L. I am not impressed. Go with the 8.1 if you are going to buy one. At least you will get the allison trans. I also have an 87 Chevy with the fuel injected throttle body 350. It gets better mileage, out pulls and will out run my newer pickup :cry:

cowboy13":1n6p4vxw said:
flaboy":1n6p4vxw said:
cowboy13":1n6p4vxw said:
6.0 is a piece of junk. We traded ours for a cummins

They are NOT talking about the 6 liter diesel they are talking about gas motors.

You must have had a 03 6 liter huh?

It was a 03 with the 6.0 gas. It sucked gas like you were pourin it out of the tailpipe.

My bad. When I hear 6.0 I think the Ford diesel. You are talking about the 6.0 GM (Gas Monster). :lol:

Rancher6":2n6p6m9f said:
I have an 04 2500 Hd with the 6.0L. I am not impressed. Go with the 8.1 if you are going to buy one. At least you will get the allison trans. I also have an 87 Chevy with the fuel injected throttle body 350. It gets better mileage, out pulls and will out run my newer pickup :cry:
man you aint even began to use fuel in that 6.0 liter wait till you got one of those 8100 then your using some fuel :cboy: the only complaint we have had here at the dealership is fuel milage on the 6.0

cowboy13":2fc59xeb said:
Ours didn't have any power either

It's a nice pickup to drive down the highway,and the engine clatter does not bother me, but put a trailer on it and it's gutless even with the 410 gears. Wish I had my dodge V10 back. It got 11mpg and this 6.0 gets 12. You hook something behind that V10 and you had better have a da@# stout hitch.

cowboy13":23at2ski said:
Rancher6":23at2ski said:
cowboy13":23at2ski said:
Ours didn't have any power either

It's a nice pickup to drive down the highway,and the engine clatter does not bother me, but put a trailer on it and it's gutless even with the 410 gears. Wish I had my dodge V10 back. It got 11mpg and this 6.0 gets 12. You hook something behind that V10 and you had better have a da@# stout hitch.

I agree 500%

What do ya'll call a load?

cowboy13":3mix23sh said:
A 30 ft Sonner loaded with calves and tack. Of course this is nothin for a cummins, but the 6.0 had big trouble gettin it rollin

How many pounds?

cowboy13":20ddkayw said:
4 prospect steers (avg. 900#). 2 heifers (avg. 1000#) and tack (trim chute, stand-up showbox, feed, etc...)

Don't sound like 10,000 pounds to me. You must of had a lemon.

Latest posts