540/1000 RPM

Help Support CattleToday:

cornstalk

Reaction score
Hey Board.

I've never really understood this....thought I'd ask here to see if anyone could clarify this for me.

What is the big difference with a 540 / 1000 pto ratio? I assume the 540 spins much slower....but how is this "switched" on the tractor?

For instance, a 4020 JD is a 540/1000 RPM tractor.....how does one switch between the two speeds....and how do you really know which rpm is required on each individual implement. (baler, snowblower, mower, etc)

I've been told a 4430 is a 1000 rpm only? How would this affect various implements that may require a 540?

Appologise for the ignorance..just never really understood this.

KK

cornstalk":3p7h7o0k said:
Hey Board.

I've never really understood this....thought I'd ask here to see if anyone could clarify this for me.

What is the big difference with a 540 / 1000 pto ratio? ...

About 460 rpm

.but how is this "switched" on the tractor?

Depends on the tractor .Sometimes just an adjustment, or lever.2 of my tractors you pull the shaft out and put another in, then adjust a rail.Check the speed with a R.P.M tester

.For instance, a 4020 JD is a 540/1000 RPM tractor.....how does one switch between the two speeds....and how do you really know which rpm is required on each individual implement. (baler, snowblower, mower, etc)?

by the PTO end that attaches to the shaft .540 has a lot bigger splines and fewer of them. 1000 has small splines but lots of them.

.I've been told a 4430 is a 1000 rpm only?
How would this affect various implements that may require a 540?

KK

It would over time wreck the implement..I had a friend of mine that wrecked a mixmill , he changed shafts and forgot to double -check the P.T.o speed.

Whats even worse is when you get a guy using an adapter, and he forgets to run the tractor at a reduced speed.

Old feller up the road from us, used an adapter on his sprayer.Really messed up about 400 acres of wheat.

THe tachometer usually has two different rpm settings for 540/1000, we have a NH that you just switch the shafts out on and the tach is already marked for both pto settings.

To switch between 540 and 1000 first requires a swap to the shaft. Generally, each shaft will have a different size gear on it that runs on a different gear inside the tractor. Some tractors will have two external collars, both of which are always driven, so when you bolt the shaft on the appropriate collar it will spin at a different RPM. In the case of hydraulic PTOs, there will be a lever either on the differential or in the cab. After you swap PTO shafts you throw the lever to the appropriate position.

There are a few tractors out there that have both shafts on the tractor, but these are mostly older Minneapolis tractors and are pretty rare (at least in my neck of the woods).

Once in a blue moon, you will see two different PTO RPMs marked on the tachometer, but this is very rare and usually the engine RPM differential is only a couple hundred RPM to compensate for the different gearing on the PTO. Most tractors use the same engine speed to achieve the desired PTO speed since the engineers attempt to achieve PTO speed at the torque peak of the engine.

Rod

hi , on my case tractor i have to turn the pto stub shaft around , on my 4020 i have to switch , there's a place to hold the 1 not being used right there , both tractors have a snamp right that holds um in place
greg

Latest posts