5 yr. old bull ?

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
The owner of the small cattle farm I manage wants to get rid of his 5 yr. old bull and get two younger ones. He asked me if could have him slaughtered for hamburger and I said yes he could. I'm just double checking that that is correct? He's around 1800-2000 lbs. and muscular so I figured he's gonna get quite a bit of burger from him.

tncattle":wznu35gw said:
The owner of the small cattle farm I manage wants to get rid of his 5 yr. old bull and get two younger ones. He asked me if could have him slaughtered for hamburger and I said yes he could. I'm just double checking that that is correct? He's around 1800-2000 lbs. and muscular so I figured he's gonna get quite a bit of burger from him.

If he's a quality bull with good numbers I'd suggest selling him private treaty first. 5 is too young to slaughter for burger in my opinion.

He would probable make good burgers but to me that's a shame.

TennesseeTuxedo":14bh44vc said:
tncattle":14bh44vc said:

If he's a quality bull with good numbers I'd suggest selling him private treaty first. 5 is too young to slaughter for burger in my opinion.

Seems like around five is the age they start to figure out how big and strong they are. soon as that happens its best to cut em loose.

callmefence":22jtb54e said:
TennesseeTuxedo":22jtb54e said:
tncattle":22jtb54e said:

Seems like around five is the age they start to figure out how big and strong they are. soon as that happens its best to cut em loose.

Don't tell my 8 year old Angus or his buddy the Hereford who is 7 and also still going strong.

Is he what you're looking for in a bull otherwise? Pass a BSE? Using him for a season and then putting him in the freezer sounds like a better plan...

tncattle":ck6xbpjk said:

Yes there is no reason you can't grind up a five year old bull. It's what happens to the greatest majority of five year old bulls that go to town. Literally where hamburger comes from.

If he's in good shape, and a desirable type of bull, passing bse as mentioned, you may get more for him. Some smaller, or not so small, outfits may have a place for him. Why's he not wanting to keep him?

He would be fine in burger but you better have lots of people who want burger because he will make a lot of it. As for keeping him. He better be a ripper. I never keep them that long. They eat a lot while waiting around for the next breeding season. They tear up a lot of stuff. And they commonly start getting angry at that age.

A slaughter bull is bringing $0.85+ a pound here, that's a lot of money to buy prime steak with. None of the bs of dealing with anything or anyone.

Latest posts