5 month old calf

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
I got a five month old calf that I checked on yesterday and he is walking like his body is incredibly sore. No noticable limp on any leg, but walks like his whole body is hurting. Went out there today, he was laying down, as I got close he got up and slowly made his way to his momma where he promptly nursed. Any ideas? Still walking real sore...

Is it possible he's foundered? Laminitis can certainly do that. Really rich grass, grain overload etc can do that. Otherwise, I'd think something like hardware...causing gut pain.

A physical exam should give you the source of the pain. Foundered feet are hot at the coronary band (top of the hoof where it meets the skin), hardware they fail the pinch test at the withers.

If you can't figure it out and it continues, call your vet.

good Luck
V

OK Jeanne":fzls6ws8 said:
Vickie - what's the "pinch test"?

Ok, there are two ways of doing it. For me, I grab the spine at the withers behind the shoulder blades, and squeeze really hard. Normal animals will sink, might even drop to the ground, but no grunt. Hardware animals either won't drop, or will drop a bit and grunt. Another way is to raise a plank at the reticular area of the belly and see if they grunt while pinching--I personally don't find it effective. It should be super easy to do on a calf. I've pinched and diagnosed animals over 2000 lbs, and I'm just over 5'1".....

V

Latest posts