41 magnum vs 44 magnum

Help Support CattleToday:

kenny thomas

Reaction score
In an 8" barrel which would you prefer for big game? Especially something that could kill and eat you.
I have been carrying a Taurus 44 magnum with an 8 3/8" barrel but considering changing to a 41 magnum. Carrying while bear hunting. No rifle, just the pistol. Thoughts. Besides the thought that I'm an idiot. I already know that.

I think you are like me and not shooting one unless one of 2 things is happening, s*** got bad or it is big! That being said at the range one occurs I don't know that you would see a big difference in either. The other I am not sure going down in size is the way I would want to go. I have seen more than one shake off a .357 point blank at the base of a tree. I have also seen one drop like a rock from a .22lr when noise was an issue. Shot placement is key and in a hole or thrashing around in a pile of dogs that can be tricky. If you are sticking with the same barrel length I don't see an advantage myself, weight difference would be negligible. I carry a .480 Ruger myself and have used it with success and in my opinion it shoots better than either .44 I have.

All that being said a .41 is a great cartridge and if it is what I had I wouldn't be afraid to use it. Bullet choice would be key also. Real men use a Barlow pocket knife.

In reading comparison it shows the 41 having more fp and penetration with only a slightly smaller bullet..I bid on a 480 Ruger last week but it got to high. Plus I got plenty of 41 and 44 ammo and no 480.

I think you are like me and not shooting one unless one of 2 things is happening, s*** got bad or it is big! That being said at the range one occurs I don't know that you would see a big difference in either. The other I am not sure going down in size is the way I would want to go. I have seen more than one shake off a .357 point blank at the base of a tree. I have also seen one drop like a rock from a .22lr when noise was an issue. Shot placement is key and in a hole or thrashing around in a pile of dogs that can be tricky. If you are sticking with the same barrel length I don't see an advantage myself, weight difference would be negligible. I carry a .480 Ruger myself and have used it with success and in my opinion it shoots better than either .44 I have.

All that being said a .41 is a great cartridge and if it is what I had I wouldn't be afraid to use it. Bullet choice would be key also. Real men use a Barlow pocket knife.
You are correct. I don't want to shoot one but as you know most of the big ones won't climb a tree. They either go in a hole or put their butt against a rock or tree and start hurting dogs. Going in to get the dogs when a 500-600 lb bear is smacking them gets interesting.

Back when I worked in brown bear country in Alaska I packed a S&W 29 in 44. We joked that you shoot the bear 5 times and save the last one for yourself. But those were different bears than you are dealing with. I would pack the 44 over a 41. MHO

Back when I worked in brown bear country in Alaska I packed a S&W 29 in 44. We joked that you shoot the bear 5 times and save the last one for yourself. But those were different bears than you are dealing with. I would pack the 44 over a 41. MHO
For a while we sold a lot of Ruger Alaskan 454. 2" snub nose. Almost every one went to the northwest or Alaska. Some said they carried them on a lanyard around their neck so it was always ready and they wouldn't drop it.

I packed that 44 with me one time when a brown bear decided to see how well I could climb a tree. Shortly after that I bought a Sako carbine (light little easy to carry rifle) in 375H&H. Easy to carry at a little over 6 pounds, a terrible thing to shoot.

I packed that 44 with me one time when a brown bear decided to see how well I could climb a tree. Shortly after that I bought a Sako carbine (light little easy to carry rifle) in 375H&H. Easy to carry at a little over 6 pounds, a terrible thing to shoot.
That's me. Shooting and carrying those big pistols seems like a real pia. I'd take a carbine over a pistol.

If I had both, it take the 44.
U will never notice the difference (recoil etc) in a situation where its needed.
The .480 or .454 are nice as well.
Big heavy, the heavier bullet the better, moderate speed. Bullet that hits em like a freight train!

Rather get hit by a mack truck or a bicycle?
Definitely not the mack truck!

As far as carrying a weapon like that in the woods, shoulder rig is the only way.

If I had both, it take the 44.
U will never notice the difference (recoil etc) in a situation where its needed.
The .480 or .454 are nice as well.
Big heavy, the heavier bullet the better, moderate speed. Bullet that hits em like a freight train!

Rather get hit by a mack truck or a bicycle?
Definitely not the mack truck!

As far as carrying a weapon like that in the woods, shoulder rig is the only way.
Current rig is a bandolier style and I really like it. An Alaska guide style across the front of the chest is great too but pricey. Shoulder holster is a pain to put on and harder to draw from. So much time is spent crawling thru ivy bushes and a lot of times when you need it it is in a hurry and in a tight space.
Carbines are nice and I carry 45-70 a good bit also but it is hard to hold a flashlight and shoot one at the same time thru a hole as big as your head.

Keep saying I am going to find a .460 SW with a 4" barrel. That in one of the guide style chest holsters would be ideal to carry.

On the ground or in a hole is what separates out the bear hunters real quick. Your talking inches and feet not yards.

Keep saying I am going to find a .460 SW with a 4" barrel. That in one of the guide style chest holsters would be ideal to carry.

On the ground or in a hole is what separates out the bear hunters real quick. Your talking inches and feet not yards.
That might be considered an IQ test.

I have a sweat shirt that says. "Everything will kill you, so choose something that is fun" Picture of a man on a saddle bronc on it.

Awww c'mon CB everybody has got to do something for fun!
These big boar are enough for me. The one under the deer feeder was at the neighbors down the road, he is no longer with us.
I carry a 357 with JSP when bow hunting.
I have had them guard a deer feeder.

Attachments

• 72D741A5-A944-4680-A328-0B5F511D9ACA.png
    72D741A5-A944-4680-A328-0B5F511D9ACA.png
    40.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 5DC98ED3-D243-461B-950E-3D1DEC6CE134.jpeg
    5DC98ED3-D243-461B-950E-3D1DEC6CE134.jpeg
    212.4 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Latest posts