4-6 month old heifers with a huge belly

Help Support CattleToday:

JenDen

Reaction score
We have 3 heifers that have a huge gut like they have been on an eating binge. They are approx 4 months - 6 months old eating good and healthy other than this huge belly. It is not high like bloat is more in the lower belly. They are not bloated just like their stomachs have stretched to the limit. Any ideas on what is going on. They are all current on shots.

First two things that come to my mind are 1) worms, and 2) poor nutrition.

What breed are they and what are you feeding them?

milkmaids right calves have a harder time converting just hay and grass and have a bigger parisite load than ones on momas milk and thats were the hay belly comes in most will be stunted and look like he!!

I don't have pics available but they look like they are preg and ready to drop calves, even though they are only 4-6 months old. They are not bloated as it is in the lower belly not up high where bloat occurs. They are relatively healthy and are eating and running around like calves should. They eat hay of timothy, fescue and red clover and also range cubes. They have access to green grass as well. They have access to mineral blocks and salt blocks and plenty of water. We wormed them first of April and they don't seem any better (we thought of worms too!) One is Black Angus and 2 are Herefords.

I would agree with the thinking of worms and poor nutrition but we have 27 head and all the others are doing fine no symptoms. Poor nutrition is a broad subject any defintion to exactly what you are thinking with regards to poor nutrition. Lacking what exactly????

What did you worm them with?

My money's on them not getting proper nutrition. More specifically, not enough protein in their diet. 4-6 month old calves still need milk (on the cow) or else grain to keep them growing right. Grass hay isn't good enough. Calves of that age that are just on grass usually get what I've heard called a "grass belly". Just that dumpy potbellied look.

I usually keep that age group of calves on good pasture + 2% of their body weight in grain, or alfalfa hay + 1-2% of their body weight in grain.

Be patient...it takes awhile for the calves' shape to change. They have to grow UP for the potbelly to disappear.

JenDen":2t44e7vb said:
I would agree with the thinking of worms and poor nutrition but we have 27 head and all the others are doing fine no symptoms. Poor nutrition is a broad subject any defintion to exactly what you are thinking with regards to poor nutrition. Lacking what exactly????

If these calves are smaller or less agressive than the rest of the calves, then they could just be getting pushed out of the way at feeding time. You might need to separate them, so they don't have to compete as much. They could probably be on a self feeder at this age with out much concern (especially if you are feeding oats or something lower in energy).

well that does make sense. they do not get that much grain. That is exactly what they have the dumpy pot bellied look. We will try that any specific grain that would have better nutirents for that age or just a good pellet mix for that age?
Thanks so much for all of your help. It is nice to have a forum like this that we can discuss things. Things you don't know about I just might and vice-versa. Thanks again

They are separated in their own pasture, no mommas or bulls or other calves. Only had 3 this age. Got them from the sale barn for replacement heifers for next year, and their mommas are no where to be seen. One started as a bucket calf. Evidently I just went brain dead for a minute and forgot how much grain we fed the last year's bucket calves and they turned out fine. The main problem, I believe, is that Hay and grass are just not enough. I can change that very easily without them having to fight at the feed bunk. There is only 3 of them. Thanks again everyone!

Typical hay belly. They need grain to get the protein they need to grow properly. A calf sucking it's momma may look that way, if they do the cow isn;t milking enough.

dun

JenDen":l93fi63k said:
They have access to mineral blocks and salt blocks and plenty of water.

You might also think about trading in your mineral blocks for a good loose mineral formulated for your area - talk to your local feed store or county extension office. Mineral blocks just don't provide enough mineral.

milkmaid":83buntgt said:
What did you worm them with?

My money's on them not getting proper nutrition. More specifically, not enough protein in their diet. 4-6 month old calves still need milk (on the cow) or else grain to keep them growing right. Grass hay isn't good enough. Calves of that age that are just on grass usually get what I've heard called a "grass belly". Just that dumpy potbellied look.

I usually keep that age group of calves on good pasture + 2% of their body weight in grain, or alfalfa hay + 1-2% of their body weight in grain.

Be patient...it takes awhile for the calves' shape to change. They have to grow UP for the potbelly to disappear.

I agree with milkmaid on this one. These calves are not old enough for grass only without developing the pot belly. They need more protein.

If it is available in your area, would suggest feeding corn gluten or dried distillers grain. You could also blend these with soy hulls 50/50. I grow light calves (150lb+) on grass + corn gluten/soy hulls. With ample grass/hay we feed 1%bw cg/sh. When forage is short have fed 1.5% bw. Cattle gain well without getting too fleshy & feed is very cost effective. These products have good protein + provide good energy from highly digestible fiber. These products have had the starch removed so acidosis is not a problem.

The attached link has great info for feeding several different byproducts. Check out the feeding recomendations as some of these products have some unique needs & limitations.

http://agebb.missouri.edu/dairy/byprod/index.htm

Good luck & happy trails.

Brock

Wow guys, thanks so much, I talked to the Vet last night and he agreed with all of you. Pat, pat on your backs! Thanks for all the info, we are pretty green at this growing cattle stuff and are learning as we go. All of your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Latest posts