3rd calf heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

Scotty

Reaction score
Going to bragg a little hear. Took two calves and a cow to the sale Sat. The cow I took had calved in Nov. and lost it a few days later. I gave her a little time to recover and was going to sell her. Between rain and the holidays she got to stay two months longer and swear she gained two hundred pounds. Took her, just dropped her off and left, hoping to get 40 -50 cents. Go back to get my check and look down and she sold for 75 cents. I asked around and when she came in the setter said looks like a big heifer to me. Opened at $65 and ran to $75. She weighted 1215. Got $911 for a five year old. Some times it pays to be lucky. ;-)

Scotty

I forgot to mention, the title of the post. She has ahd three calves for me and I bought her bred. Probly one calve befor I bought her.

Scotty

Good for ya'.

This is one of the reasons I do not reccommend newbies going to the saler barn alone.

Cheers

Bez

had a 2-3 yr old do that once... but it was because she didnt have much of an udder ( which is why i sold her)... you could not look at her and tell that she had calved before.

jt

This girl was dry as can be as far as a bag. I do agree with not going by your self.

Scotty

You did good alright, but odds are whoever bought her was buying her for slaughter. I say that for three reasons: 1) she sold by the pound, 2) she was either not palpated or marked open, and 3) she was either not mouthed or marked a lot older than one year. Either she was bought for slaughter or the buyer is a rookie who did not do his homework. You still did well, considering that high yield slaughter cows are bringing 15-20 cents less than that on average.

Craig-TX

Latest posts