300 savage?

Help Support CattleToday:

denvermartinfarms

Reaction score
Any opinions or thoughts on the round? I'm wanting another model 99 lever action, and wondered if it was a well thought of cartridge or not.

Lucky you DM, I think it's a fine round and the Savage 99 is the best. I've been looking for one myself, lots of nice one's out there. I traded one off in the early eighties and kick myself to this day about doing it.

highgrit":g36a4nr6 said:
Lucky you DM, I think it's a fine round and the Savage 99 is the best. I've been looking for one myself, lots of nice one's out there. I traded one off in the early eighties and kick myself to this day about doing it.
I've had a couple but always ended up getting a good deal to let someone else have them, and the ones I have had weren't in the most desirable caliber's. yes I agree they are great, the model 99 the browning BLR and the 444 marlin are all in my top 5 favorite hunting rifles.

highgrit":35yd7pqe said:
Every gun show I see a number of 99s in 300 savage, I'm still looking for one in 250-3000. Seem to be scarcer then hens teeth

dun":1i92b5y3 said:
highgrit":1i92b5y3 said:
Every gun show I see a number of 99s in 300 savage, I'm still looking for one in 250-3000. Seem to be scarcer then hens teeth

If you do find one it will probably be shot out. That lever makes it pretty easy to burn thru ammo!

3waycross":2lh88jj7 said:
dun":2lh88jj7 said:
highgrit":2lh88jj7 said:

If you do find one it will probably be shot out. That lever makes it pretty easy to burn thru ammo!
I've got an older M70 carbine in 250-300 so I guess that's as clsoe as I'll get that I can afford. CFPINZ found me one last year that had a new stock and some other embelishments, but 5k was a bit much for a shooter

I have an uncle who has an old 99 Savage 250-3000. It has been just sitting in his gun case for 50+ years. He wouldn't sell a gun but I know that my brother and I are in his will for the guns. There is also a Winchester 92 in 44-40 that I know my brother wants in the worse way. So no matter which of us gets first choice I know that I am going to end up with the 250-3000.

Latest posts