3 year heifer not conceiving

Help Support CattleToday:

Fortuneangus

Reaction score
We have a 3 year old heifer who has gone through 2 breeding seasons with no calf. Should we just butcher her?

Yes. If the heifer hasn't taken for 2 years then she will put on way too much fat which will increase the likelyhood of her having calving problems. Also, if you keep her and she does breed after 2 years of trying her calves might have the same issue with not breeding.

Fortuneangus":318q7eem said:
We have a 3 year old heifer who has gone through 2 breeding seasons with no calf. Should we just butcher her?

Firstly, has she been exposed? If that answer is yes, see the above two posts.

Fortuneangus":mqs2ob43 said:

That cow has stood in your pasture costing you money every day for years with no return on income.
The first rule of this business is ruthless culling no exceptions or you wont be doing this long or you will have welfare cattle.
I haven't done the books this year, last it cost me a 1.35 a day for a cow to stay here.

I would have taken her to the sale a long time ago I don't let animals hang around that aren't paying for their keep bulls need to breed and cows need to have and raise calves

Latest posts