3-week old sick calf--please read

Help Support CattleToday:

LGodlove

Reaction score
I have a now three-week old beef/holstein calf named Loverboy. During the first week of life, he developed scours/pnemonia and I gave him shots of LA200 and pepto. He was rather small and his umbilical hung off him and had blood where it was attached and I put iodine on it. He has four other buddies whom I nursed out of scours utilizing lots of Re-sorb, Bounce Back, and the handy esophageal feeder (I got one set of 3 calves that are 6-weeks old and his buddy, Rocky, who is also 3-weeks old who are all doing great.

Loverboy just doesn't seem to snap out of being sick. It's cold here at night (20 degrees) so I bring him in where it's warm. When I first got him, he groaned when you touched him, like he was hurt. He didn't poop but a tiny squirt when I first got him and acted like he couldn't make a bowel movement, so I doused him good with mineral oil to clean his system out and he acted better. During the day, I put him out with the other boys when it's not too cold out. Loverboy gets fed 3 pints of milk replacer and about 3 tablespoons of grain twice a day (I put in his mouth) and he will eat hay at times. He has been difficult to get to eat since day one--very contrary. Today I touched his teeth and noticed a couple side teeth feel a bit loose, he is really bony and continues to have a hacking cough and a tiny bit of a rattle in his throat when he sucks.

I have administered about 10 shots of 5 mL of LA200 to him and his last one was yesterday. I feel like I'm using him as a pin cushion. If he decides he's not going to suck his bottle in the morning, I'm going to have to tube him again.

I got all my calves at the sale barn, so I have no idea how he was treated or if Loverboy got colostrum or not. What can I do to get him to snap out of this? I'm very determined--I will either cure or kill him. I've even considered giving him a shot of Jack Daniels in his milk.

Stop the grain. Hit him with a vitamin B complex. Only feed him 1 bottle of of electrolytes in the morning and 1 bottle of milk at night. Check his umbilical cord area to see if it is still wet, if so he probably has a perforation in the bowel. Changing his climate back and forth (warm to cold will keep hi lungs wet (condenstation). Just keep him in a dry pen out of the wind, but ventilated.

I would have to disagree with 1848 on one thing. Stopping the milk in the am.
I would continue with more milk. same amount 3x or 4 x and add in the electrolytes.
What is his temp
I would also call a vet. First order of business.
Then per vet recommendations probably...
...Get something stronger. Secondary infection of pnemonia might have started in. Add in the B complex like 1848 recommended and a non steriodal anti inflamatory.

LA 200 10x every 3-4 days would be 30 to 40 days of treatment. After 2 or three shots i would have re-evaluated and called a vet and probably switched treatments.
If he is only three weeks old that is 21 days and he is over medicated.
If i read your post wrong please forgive me.
Sale barn calves are hit and miss. Some good some not so good. Could have gotten a PI calf and he could always require extra help. Best way to find out is to get it tested.
De worm?

Pic would be good

Give that calf a shot of vitamin AD&E...and ask the vet about something stronger than LA200. Also, ask the vet to give you some banamine.

DO NOT cut back on the milk replacer. At this calf's age, scours should not be a concern...besides, the shape the calf is in...put it like this...if you try something different it might work and it might not. If it does, great...if it doesn't, oh well. I'm not being flip here...I've just been there, done that.

One other thing...give that calf a healthy dose of probios! And keep giving it, every single day.

Get some good antibiotics from the vet. LA200 isn't gonna help with pneumonia...and right now, that sounds like what the problem is.

Also, if you can get that calf to eat more grain, do it! And keep out hay and fresh, clean water.

Good luck,

Alice

Stick a thermometer in him if over 102 get a better antibiotic from the vet .Draxxin is very good in calves this age.He would benefit from a vaccination program.It is time to stop with the tube. Cut the end out of a nipple and make him swallow it,you can add a handfull of oatmeal in his milk this way too.Always promote grain consumption.Keep putting the grain in his mouth ,hopefully he will catch on .With some calves the best we can do is keep them alive today in hopes for an opportunity to keep them alive tomorrow.

Larry

larryshoat":2jp99cbb said:
Stick a thermometer in him if over 102 get a better antibiotic from the vet .Draxxin is very good in calves this age.He would benefit from a vaccination program.It is time to stop with the tube. Cut the end out of a nipple and make him swallow it,you can add a handfull of oatmeal in his milk this way too.Always promote grain consumption.Keep putting the grain in his mouth ,hopefully he will catch on .With some calves the best we can do is keep them alive today in hopes for an opportunity to keep them alive tomorrow.

With some calves the best we can do is keep them alive today in hopes for an opportunity to keep them alive tomorrow.

Amen, brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alice

Alice":ctty9yzb said:
larryshoat":ctty9yzb said:

With some calves the best we can do is keep them alive today in hopes for an opportunity to keep them alive tomorrow.

Amen, brother!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alice

Ollie had a quote from his vet I enjoy... "if they're alive in the morning they have a better chance of making it than if they aren't." :lol: :p

This morning he drank 3 pints and I gave him the 3 tablespoons of grain. I can hear that darn rattle in his throat when he sucks and he pauses every couple seconds to hack out a bad cough with his tongue out.

I appreciate all the posts. 1848, I'm definitely going to quit putting him out during the day until he's better. I wanted him to get a better winter coat and socialize him with his four herd brothers, but thinking about it alll I did was cause him stress.

And Alice, thank you too--I don't have any of that probios and I believe you are right about him needing vitamins. I keep him hay, grain and water out too.

There is another behavior I forgot to mention, he licks things, the wood shed, his herdmates, and my hand. Is this a classic sign of a vitamin deficiency?

I don't know how to put pics here, so I uploaded them to my gallery.

I know one thing, I've been doing this since mid-October and it's given me quite an education and a much greater appreciation for people out there who raise baby calves. My prior experience is with red and black angus cattle who for the most part, take care of themselves.

My biggest holstein bull calf, Frosty is almost 200 pounds and yes, I know he should be weaned and no more bottle because he eats at least 2lbs of grain daily, but I've been giving him warm water in his bottle and he drinks it.

What can I say--I'm an animal lover.

Hey, re: Frosty...been there, done that, too. Problem is, when he gets much bigger he could hurt ya' unintentionally looking for that bottle.

Your sick one needs the milk replacer right now, especially with the pneumonia. That rattle...that rattle when the sick one drinks is a dead giveaway. The calf needs something stronger in the way of antibiotics. LA200, Tylan, Tylosin...they are not gonna help. Like Larry said, Draxxin might help, as well as Baytril and Nuflor. You can get that from the vet.

The Probios can be bought at the feed store or Tractor Supply. And, in place of Probios, you can use yogurt. Mix up a small container in his milk. He needs the probios/yogurt really quick right now with all of the LA200 he's had.

Good luck. I hope the baby makes it thru. Remember, they all don't...they all aren't meant to.

Alice

I strongly agree with the call to change antibiotics.
Nuflor comes to mind but I am sure that the vet can even point out newer and better ones. LA 200 is good for a lot of stuff but this needs something else.

Well, I called the vet and they gave me 5mL of Nuflor, which I just administered, and a three-day dose of banamine, and I gave him his first dose of that as well. Vet said if he doesn't show improvement after this, he's probably not going to make it.

Loverboy was lying down in the pen when I went in so I was quick about the shots and rubbed his little leg afterward. Of course he stood up after I did it, I know it burns. Then I put yogurt in a large feeding syringe and squirted that slowly into his mouth. I offered him grain and water, but he refused. He will get his 6 o'clock bottle (and hopefully suck it for me like he did last night) and at least 3 tablespoons of grain.

He's just stood there and looked at me as if to say, "What else are you going to shove in me or stab me with?!!"

Thank you all very much. I will keep you posted.

And Alice, it's really hard especially for someone as stubborn as me to recognize that you are right about not all of the little fellers make it and it's for a reason, but my mind will be at peace to know that I did everything reasonably within my power.

So for now my waiting game continues . . .

Yes, I know, but because I've given him a lot of shots there and he's so bony and has bumps on his neck where I have given him shots previously, I thought it was better to do it in the meat of the buttocks (for the intramuscular banamine) and under the skin for the nuflor.

Hey, I wasn't scolding you about not all of them making it...I'm sorry if that's what it seemed. I also like to be able to say, "I gave it my best shot." It seems to make losing one a bit more bearable if I've tried everything in my power. However, I also had to realize when I was doing more harm to the calf than simply letting the little thing go. Man, I hate that part.

One reason I haven't had any calves for awhile is that it got harder and harder on me to lose one. And, everytime I think about getting another 1, or 2, or 7, or 8, I read something like what you are going thru...and that pretty much does it for me. It's stressful as all get out.

alice

LGodlove":30b7w7nu said:
Yes, I know, but because I've given him a lot of shots there and he's so bony and has bumps on his neck where I have given him shots previously, I thought it was better to do it in the meat of the buttocks (for the intramuscular banamine) and under the skin for the nuflor.

Hey, don't worry about it...you do what you have to do. I'm such a lousy shot giver...but I did get to a point that I used a new needle each time, instead of sterilizing them and using them more than once. Made me feel better, anyway.

Alice

Alice,
I know you didn't mean anything by it. I have really enjoyed the company of these lil fellers and you just hate to see any of them hurt or down.

I know one thing, five of the little buggers is enough at a time for me to take on (three would have been best, but you know when you are at the sale how you get (aw--they're so cute) and then the price is right.

You are extremely knowledgeable and caring about these little calves and I appreciate all the advice you gave me.

I won't go to the auction anymore, not even as a casual bystander. The reason? Wow the price is right, and they are soooo cute, and they need someone to take care of them, and, and, and....

My husband has every other Friday off...and he goes to the auction just to see if there is something there he can't live without. Everytime he asks me to go...everytime I tell him not only NO, but h*ll no!

Alice

you do know that the calf needs to be fed more than 2x a day especially if he is only gettting 3 pints at a time, right? One of the reasons he might be so lethargic is cause he is hungry, as well as pnemonia.