3 acre pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

ss243b

Reaction score
Im a very small timer with a 3 acre pasture i just fenced in. Currently have a cow/calf , a bred cow that should be dropping her calf anytime and a 700lb feeder. I feed hay in the morning and a little grain morning and evening. I probably jumped in to quick buying but just wondering your thoughts on running 5 animals on 3 acres. Any input appreciated, thanks.
And heres a shot of our calf just for the heck of it

It seems to be working out, i just havent figured out a good amount of hay to be giving them right now per day, honestly i dont think they even need it currently but i give them a half bale anyways per day

We do free choice in round bales when ours are fenced in smaller lots. Let them run out for one day so they clean it up. If you don't want them to eat it into the ground, a little more hay is better than not enough and they will usually rather eat the grass than the hay. You could try running an electric wire and splitting it and then rotating them a bit and you will actually need less hay than if they can eat the best parts real short. I am assuming that the feeder will be freezer beef? So it won't be around forever and the calves can be future feeders for sale or for your freezer again. I think it sounds like you are doing okay for now.

farmerjan":3hh54xox said:
We do free choice in round bales when ours are fenced in smaller lots. Let them run out for one day so they clean it up. If you don't want them to eat it into the ground, a little more hay is better than not enough and they will usually rather eat the grass than the hay. You could try running an electric wire and splitting it and then rotating them a bit and you will actually need less hay than if they can eat the best parts real short. I am assuming that the feeder will be freezer beef? So it won't be around forever and the calves can be future feeders for sale or for your freezer again. I think it sounds like you are doing okay for now.
Yep we have one thats strictly for the freezer, and i do believe the calfs will be one to sell and one to eat. Never thought about round bales, that may be something i might try! Thanks for the response and ideas!

ss243b":13lwmuit said:
It seems to be working out, i just havent figured out a good amount of hay to be giving them right now per day, honestly i dont think they even need it currently but i give them a half bale anyways per day
If they're eating the half bale everyday increase it a little bit until you have just a small amount left over then hold it there until they begin cleaning it all up...repeat.

ss243b":388gp9ga said:

The good news is, you can't over feed them on hay (except maybe hot stuff like alfalfa, I don't know anything about it).

Actually a buddy gave me a round bale feeder today so i went and got a bale to put in it. Gonna see how this works out, also ive already got a tractor for mowing so its actually easier to put in a round bale

You will be amazed at how much more grass you will have if you split your 3 acres into maybe 3 small paddocks. If you only have 1 water source, just split in pie shape so you just have to move the end of the line to one side or the other so they have access to the water and hay. Let them eat one section down real good, move them & mow the refusal grass.

Even though I do it myself, I hate putting out a round bale for only a couple head because it takes too long for them to eat it and it gets pretty rank if it gets rained on several times over a month or so. If you could cheaply cover the bale someway I think it would be worth it. Don't have any ideas how, but I'm sue someone does.

Latest posts