3/8" or 1/2" compressor hose

Help Support CattleToday:

I use 3/8"air brake hose. Runs everything up to and including my 1" drive impact. Should be all you need

Txpiney":14vqc9hf said:
I use 3/8"air brake hose. Runs everything up to and including my 1" drive impact. Should be all you need

I have 1/2 on the larger farm shop compressor but wondered if the 3/8 would run something like a 1 inch impact or 3/4 well on my new compressor for my house.

skyhightree1":duh6dh2c said:
Txpiney":duh6dh2c said:

I have 1/2 on the larger farm shop compressor but wondered if the 3/8 would run something like a 1 inch impact or 3/4 well on my new compressor for my house.

You will lose 20 psi through 50' of 3/8 hose flowing 30 cfm (typical of a 3/4" impact), so 120 psi at the tank, 100 at the tool. It will work, you'll need to use larger quick connects, as they are the bottleneck.

Id go 1/2. 3/8 Will run a 1 inch impact but 1/2 Will do it a lot better. I dont know what all you use it for but i dont know if youll even notice if you using it just for small jobs.

Craig Miller":1v06xdxn said:
Id go 1/2. 3/8 Will run a 1 inch impact but 1/2 Will do it a lot better. I dont know what all you use it for but i dont know if youll even notice if you using it just for small jobs.

Mostly grinding..spray gun.. framing nailer for the most part occasionally 3/4 impact

Atimm693":981at0vc said:
skyhightree1":981at0vc said:
Txpiney":981at0vc said:

You will lose 20 psi through 50' of 3/8 hose flowing 30 cfm (typical of a 3/4" impact), so 120 psi at the tank, 100 at the tool. It will work, you'll need to use larger quick connects, as they are the bottleneck.

I do run the large "G" style couplers on the 3/4" and 1" impacts. Anything that requires a lot of air will need the extra flow.

Txpiney":3jnedu44 said:
Atimm693":3jnedu44 said:
skyhightree1":3jnedu44 said:

I do run the large "G" style couplers on the 3/4" and 1" impacts. Anything that requires a lot of air will need the extra flow.

Thanks for sharing I will have to go to northern tools and get some couplers and swap them out so I can use my framing gun with them. Will the quick connect coupler that's in the tool itself work on the 1/2" couplers?

skyhightree1":1j28i3m4 said:
Txpiney":1j28i3m4 said:
Atimm693":1j28i3m4 said:

Thanks for sharing I will have to go to northern tools and get some couplers and swap them out so I can use my framing gun with them. Will the quick connect coupler that's in the tool itself work on the 1/2" couplers?

I don't think that whatever is already in the tool will work with the large couplers.

The half inch couplers and hose make a world of difference on a 1" impact. Most air tools will only have 3/8" threads, so I have an adapter that goes in my 1/2" hose with a 3/8" coupler and use 3/8" on everything except the big dogs.
The 1/2" or G style are pretty expensive also.

Txpiney":1mk2d1ca said:
skyhightree1":1mk2d1ca said:
Txpiney":1mk2d1ca said:

I don't think that whatever is already in the tool will work with the large couplers.

Gotcha,I didn't have time to check but im sure your right but need to be able to use both at home

ohiosteve":36d3cqny said:
Sky, this setup is what I like.

Thanks for sharing I will have to look online for some type of reducer from 1/2" coupler to a 3/8" Do you have a place that you order them ? I am going to northern tool tomorrow and will try to see if they have them.

Is this what you have?

https://www.amazon.com/Amflo-CP17-03-Pl ... ullets-btf

All the fittings in my picture I got from Napa. Like Txpineysaid I think the big ones are called type G. There are several styles of 3/8" and some are compatible , some are not.

ohiosteve":3vpokg2p said:
All the fittings in my picture I got from Napa. Like Txpineysaid I think the big ones are called type G. There are several styles of 3/8" and some are compatible , some are not.

Thanks I appreciate you letting me know I deal with napa alot

I had a 50' ⅜ on a wall mounted HF roll up wheel (that initially had the puke for hose that comes with it) that worked great around my shop with the new hose from HD. Bought a ¾" impact tool and it said you need ½.

So I played with it, moving pressure knob down to lowest setting and no help. Wouldn't spin the unit.

Back to HD bought a 50' ½" and it works fine. If curious, it's their Chartreuse (tomato worm green) colored, premium hose (larger diameter than regular hose) and it fit my roller just fine if I paid attention when rolling it back up. If you just let it go it will bunch up in a spot and stop.

So the ½ serves my shop needs and if I need to get air out of the building I use the old ⅜ plugged into the end of it for that....as long as I'm not using the ¾" impact.......the ½ works fine like that.

Latest posts