2nd year showing bull need tips to get him to walk again

Help Support CattleToday:

FarmerMomma3

Reaction score
My daughter has a Braunvieh/Angus bull. He just turned 2, We have had him since he was born. Won showmanship last yr. Just recently he has started giving her a hard time walking, snatches the rope from you, pushes on you, just being bullish. Any tips to get him straightened out. This will be his last year showing.

Im assuming he has a nose ring in already since he's been shown before? When we are refreshing an older bull for show, we start by working them in a corral. Use a good halter, I like Sullivan's rope halters with the slider ring, and a separate heavy rope clipped on his nose ring. Use the halter to do the leading and cues, only use the nose as a reprimand and e-brake. Work in small circles and get him to break at the poll and engage his rear third. Lots of small figure 8s do the trick. If he starts thinking too much or acting squirrelly, spin him around in tight circles and get him back in the game. Most of the tricks that work on horses work on cattle too! Dont get in a power struggle, you won't win. Just out-think him and keep his nose where it belongs. And of course, lots of time tied standing helps also. Good luck!

Yes he has the nose ring. He is a bottle baby raised by my 13yr old daughter, I think that adds to him being a brat. Just like any teenager he won't listen to his momma. Thank you, we will start using your tips today.

If she is showing him for showmanship, check the rules. Juniors aren't allowed to show bulls in most of the junior shows around here. Get her a feeder calf or breeding heifer.
I think a bottle raised bull is a train wreck waiting to happen, showing him greases the rails.

We are in SW Fl. She is an intermediate in 4h. She showed him last year(won showmanship) and can show him until he is 3, which he will turn before next year's fair. She will be getting a heifer for next year. He was her first bottle baby, and didn't want to use as a steer due to our fair being an end of the line fair where they leave straight to the butcher. She has gotten back her confidence now, and he is walking with no problems. He has been tested for breeding soundness (all good) and will be being sold to a neighbor for a new breeder after show. We are in cow/calf beef production and bottle feeding calfs just happens and there is no better way to show that you can't keep them all, then bottle feeding a bull that will have to be sold. By showing him she has gotten to keep him longer than usual.

FM3, glad to hear he's behaving better! Sometimes they just need a reminder who is in n charge. We often will switch who is working with a bull for a couple of days when they hit one of those roadblocks. After a " coming to Jesus" talk, they are usually more than happy to cooperate with the regular handler. Best of luck to you daughter!

We had a prospect show today and she took 2nd. I think we have gotten control again. He didn't even get sidetracked by all the heifers. Thank you again.

Latest posts