2nd cut hay improvements

Help Support CattleToday:

Cress27

Reaction score
What do you guys do to help the yeld of your second cut hay. I've been brain storming and thought a guy could drill in some kind of worm season annual after his first cut say something like fox tail millet. Or would that smother out your fescue and orchard grass for first cut the next year. I tried something different this year and added some rye grass in the fall and it really helped my hay production in the spring just looking to do the same for the fall cut. To late now but for next fall I'd like to try something.

southernultrablack said:
Sorghum Sudan works well.

Did you no till that in with your grass hay. Would like to grow that but don't have access to a wrapper. It's about impossible to get that stuff up dry in my area

Cress27 said:
southernultrablack said:

Did you no till that in with your grass hay. Would like to grow that but don't have access to a wrapper. It's about impossible to get that stuff up dry in my area
I did. Getting it dry was a major concern for me, I was able to find someone to wrap it though.

I'm fortunate to get chicken litter for $53 a load. It helps the 2nd cutting. The first year I bought this 48 acres I cut the whole 48 and it made 106 bales. There is a section of 10-12 acres sectioned off for a hay meadow and I put 10 loads on it and it made 87. This year I got litter on it later and it only had 1 good rain before we cut it so it won't be as good. The third cutting should be good if we continue to get rain

southernultrablack said:
Cress27 said:
southernultrablack said:

Have you rolled your hay yet? How did it yield is your existing grass still in good shape for next spring?
We made 83 bales total. It's three weeks after cutting and this stuff is going to make another cutting.

Good deal. My dad has grown Sudan this year but it has been dry here in central ky. In spots some places got rain but we sure have drawn the short straw. Hopefully get some rain from this hurricane.

I'm fortunate to get chicken litter for $53 a load. It helps the 2nd cutting. The first year I bought this 48 acres I cut the whole 48 and it made 106 bales. There is a section of 10-12 acres sectioned off for a hay meadow and I put 10 loads on it and it made 87. This year I got litter on it later and it only had 1 good rain before we cut it so it won't be as good. The third cutting should be good if we continue to get rain
How large is the load For 53$?

Latest posts