2500lb plus

Help Support CattleToday:

I would think that is a very subjective figure subject to a lot of variation as to age and the amount of feed put into them. I can only speak with regard to Angus and I mainly use young bulls. The 2 yr old bull I used last year got away from me a bit weight wise as I had him with some yearlings I was developing and he ended up at 960kg (2116 lbs) at 26 months of age. If he were in an AI facility getting fed and a few more years on him I would think he would easily reach the mark of 2500 lbs and that would apply to most of my bulls. A genuinely big bull that was put out to work and kept fit might sit more around the 1000kg (2200 lb) even as he aged.
Ken

Looking for a 2500lb plus hereford bull to use A-I. Any suggestions. Harpers won't answer E-Mail.
I looked at some EPDs. Select Sires 7HP119 SHF Everstone Z311 E156 has big numbers.
AHA #43793570
I don't know his weight.

Hmm... a project. Reminds me of my heifer that did not breed back. She was in heat after the bull had been removed. AI'd her to Bieber Deep End RAA #1694338. Deep End is supposed to throw big calves. She calved a female with no problem.

Last edited:
Don't know if semen is still available anymore, but SHF Ribeye was a big bull, 7 frame if I remember correctly. Don't remember what he weighed. A friend bred some cows to him some years back.

If you really want big look more to the eared breeds of cattle. The biggest bull I have ever seen in person was a Santa Gertrudis at the sale barn when I was working the ring. He weighed 3,400lbs. I'm 6'2" and couldn't look over him. I have no idea how long he was, but he had stretch and he didn't have much air under him either.
I have also seen a 2,700lb Holstein steer. God only knows how old he was.

If you really want big look more to the eared breeds of cattle. The biggest bull I have ever seen in person was a Santa Gertrudis at the sale barn when I was working the ring. He weighed 3,400lbs. I'm 6'2" and couldn't look over him. I have no idea how long he was, but he had stretch and he didn't have much air under him either.
I have also seen a 2,700lb Holstein steer. God only knows how old he was.
Yea I want a Hereford. Project goal is 2800 + in breeding condition. Frame wise I am sure will vary. 2200 is very easily attainable but I want bigger. Thinking big bull contest at state fair.

I looked at some EPDs. Select Sires 7HP119 SHF Everstone Z311 E156 has big numbers.
AHA #43793570
I don't know his weight.

Hmm... a project. Reminds me of my heifer that did not breed back. She was in heat after the bull had been removed. AI'd her to Bieber Deep End RAA #1694338. Deep End is supposed to throw big calves. She calved a female with no problem.
I will look him up thank u.

It might be worth a look to see if you could find some semen from some of the older bulls from the 80's through early 90's. There were some big framed and massive bulls of all breeds at that time. I remember seeing in person a couple Charolais bulls
That were 6ft at the hip and weighed 3200 and 3300 lbs.
The first Hereford bull I bought weighed 2240 at 4 years old in pasture condition when I sold him

Looking for a 2500lb plus hereford bull to use A-I. Any suggestions. Harpers won't answer E-Mail.
You might want to look at finding some Redeem semen, my herd bull out of Redeem is a coming 6 year old and every bit of 2400, maybe more. He doesn't fit in the XL chute any more. Will need to run him across a truck scale one of these days before he's retired.

Yea I want a Hereford. Project goal is 2800 + in breeding condition. Frame wise I am sure will vary. 2200 is very easily attainable but I want bigger. Thinking big bull contest at state fair.
Sounds like a fun project. So you don't plan on live covering cows with him? It would take some big cows to hold him up.

It might be worth a look to see if you could find some semen from some of the older bulls from the 80's through early 90's. There were some big framed and massive bulls of all breeds at that time. I remember seeing in person a couple Charolais bulls
That were 6ft at the hip and weighed 3200 and 3300 lbs.
The first Hereford bull I bought weighed 2240 at 4 years old in pasture condition when I sold him

I was thinking the same thing, but I was thinking about the Simmentals from back then. Some of them were pretty big, and a few were marked up like Herefords.

I was thinking the same thing, but I was thinking about the Simmentals from back then. Some of them were pretty big, and a few were marked up like Herefords.
I've always figured that there was some of that old time red Simmental blood used to get Herefords to the size they were during that time.
From what I understand there was at least one Hereford bull from then that had a diluter effect on his calves.
We bought a registered bred Hereford heifer and retained the calf by a registered Hereford bull. His calves had a lot more white on them than most Hereford calves do today and also a couple of them had white marks or strips all the way down from the white on their shoulders to their underside. He was also a taller bull than most Herefords of today.

Latest posts