25% chance for red

Help Support CattleToday:

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Reaction score
This cow is 14 years old - pictured yesterday. Sired by my Macho As U bull (avatar) and out of my old donor Miss Power Lass (maternal sister to cow that had set of twins couple of days ago).

Here she is with her new RED blazed face heifer out of a black bull, New Direction born this evening:

It`s surprising sometimes how the red gene works. I had 3 calves in 24 hours by GLS Declaration 2 bulls and a heifer. The 2 black cows had red calves and the red cow that`s half Shorthorn had the black calf. I`m hoping to get some pictures of them they`re all nice calves. At least I got 1 red heifer like I wanted.

Always love a wide blaze face, even when they weren't in style. And red to boot out of a nice cow. Yay!

Jeanne is right. It is hard to find a red bull that does what you want it to.

Edit: red Simmental bulls. Lots of good Red bulls in other breeds.

Yes, I was referring to a great red Simmental bull. Blacks are a dime a dozen, lots of good choices.
This dam is a twin, but I don't think she has ever HAD a set of twins. She's leaving that to her 1/2 sister (3 sets).

I have a great red bull that I use, Mack AF. But, his semen is limited (private sale) and his numbers are absolutely horrible. Gives me just what I'm looking for in a female. I have castrated all his male calves because of numbers. As much as I tell everyone that I don't pay a lot of attention to numbers, I "have" to pay attention to CE numbers on prospect bulls. Sell 1 bull that produces calving problems, and my farm name is MUD.

Silver said:
Good looking calf. Up here the best looking Simmental bulls are fullbloods.
I appreciate the thickness of the fullbloods for a commercial operation, I just can't stand their ugliness! That big head, sloppy front end, round bone, and some have the Limi bubble butt. Obviously, there have to be some that are more eye appealing bulls by now, but ones I see in studs for AI are mostly still pretty ugly (to me). All in the eye of the beholder.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
Franke said:
The best red Simmentals are coming out of black bulls.
I agree!! but, only because we just don't have the choices of red bulls like we have blacks - of the "style" that I am looking for. I love my reds. :banana:

Yes lots more options for the blacks. Dominance and his sire had a good run for show winners but didn't gain the popularity because their numbers were terrible. I've not paid much attention to the reds for years ( dad didn't ever even think about using one). Dad sold a herd bull he liked because he threw more red calves than he liked.

Well, I love reds and I have a market for good ones. I use Mack AF who is a brother to Dominance (same sire). I get really, really good females. I don't dare leave any males in tact because of his numbers. I don't worry about his CE, but I try to put him on females that will average out the epd's a little better. I have other red bulls that I use (Pendleton, Red Answer, Amigo.
I am thinking about trying Volk Backdraft or HILB Royal Rumble (but they are both EO sons and I love to breed to EO)

Well, I love reds and I have a market for good ones. I use Mack AF who is a brother to Dominance (same sire). I get really, really good females. I don't dare leave any males in tact because of his numbers. I don't worry about his CE, but I try to put him on females that will average out the epd's a little better. I have other red bulls that I use (Pendleton, Red Answer, Amigo.
I am thinking about trying Volk Backdraft or HILB Royal Rumble (but they are both EO sons and I love to breed to EO)

Pendleton and Red Answer are red full brothers to Bullseye right?

Jeane, If you want to talk about probabilities, how's this.. Two heifers, born a year apart on the same hour of the same calendar day, both horned (both parents hetero polled, also 25% chance)

Silver said:
Good looking calf. Up here the best looking Simmental bulls are fullbloods.
I appreciate the thickness of the fullbloods for a commercial operation, I just can't stand their ugliness! That big head, sloppy front end, round bone, and some have the Limi bubble butt. Obviously, there have to be some that are more eye appealing bulls by now, but ones I see in studs for AI are mostly still pretty ugly (to me). All in the eye of the beholder.

I'll be sure to continue to not post any pictures of my FB bulls :lol:

Latest posts