24 valve

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Grandson has bought a 24 valve 99 model dodge.One owner 85000 miles. Had set up the last 5 years without much driving. He thinks it needs some injectors any idea on what he might do to this truck to make it run with the best mpg possible

One of the best engines in dodge ever. The injector pump on these engines would be the biggest concern unless high sulfur fuel has been used in it. The seals breakdown from not being used from what I've been told and had it happen on my old dodge with this engine. The engine itself is hardly broken in. Normal driving without a load he should get 20-22 mpg. The only thing I would recommend without have it "tuned" would be to add CAI and better muffler that will bump his mpg 5 to 10% and remember with that low of miles the truck probably was babied and he goes and starts raw dogin it he's gonna break it.

What makes him think he needs injectors? I haven't heard of them fouling much, unlike the VP44 pumps... Sounds like an awesome truck!

We just bought a '92 dodge with 300,000 miles from the original owner

Has anyone ever managed to get better fuel mileage with a tunner or programer?? I have never got better mileage myself, the lie-o-meter always said I was getting better mpg with a tunner. But when I would divide the miles by the gallons, it was all just a lie. Always made more power, never made better fuel mileage. IMO

I have a 99 Dodge/Cummins/ 4x4/ 5 speed. People talk about 20-22 mpg but I can't get it. I did replace the VP44 five years ago with a new Lift Pump [Fuel Pump] and AutoMeter Fuel Pressure Guage and it now runs well. Last year when I was moving my winter hay I could tell there was a loss of power and poor fuel mileage. At inspection I found that my intercooler boots were torn so I replaced them and added a Donaldson Air filter and now it really runs better than ever. It seems like there is always something just not 100% about this truck and they can be a money pit. JMO.

I would suggest a new lift pump and mount it down on the driver side frame rail by the fuel tank. It gets the pump out of the heat and off the vibrating engine. The pumps are made to push fuel not suck fuel and it will last much longer. Put a ball valve in front of the new LP and it make it real easy to deal with when service is needed.